List of companies to send scripts to Page 10

I have never read them Griff, but I had a character called Hogwart in another long poem what I wrote called KING, if I can find the thing on my comp somewhere I'll paste a bit.

I always assumed she had nicked the name from me, I'd better call back the lawyers.

:)

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 12:13 PM BST

1953. A mere 40-plus years before Harry Potter. But still, it can't be a coincidence, and it'd be nice if she admitted it.

Were there not a number of similar coincidences in her writing?

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 12:16 PM BST

Top of this chain, of course, is Brian Sewell. There can surely be nobody who looks down on him as a bit below-stairs.

His mother thinks he's frightfully tacky because he writes! She tells her friends that he was adopted as a child and 'trades' genes will out.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 12:18 PM BST

I always assumed she had nicked the name from me, I'd better call back the lawyers.

I shouldn't - Warner Bros are optioning anything that could result in a libel case.

Quote: Timbo @ August 15 2008, 12:13 PM BST

The burden of responsibility is the argument always used to justify privilege.

No justification was being offered. Just an alternative viewpoint.

Quote: Timbo @ August 15 2008, 12:21 PM BST

I shouldn't - Warner Bros are optioning anything that could result in a libel case.

Cool, now where is that bloody thing. Originally sold to a division attached to Bertelsmann who own Random House who I have some dealings with.

Now where is it????

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 12:07 PM BST

I am sure this isn't off topic, but what do you make of 'The Thief Lord' and Inkheart' by your own Cornelia Funke, Finck.

Haven't read them (yet?). I read HP by accident (not a fan of the genre) and to improve my English. Would you recommend it? I'm burrowing through the German classics at the moment. After that a children's book could be exactly what I need. :)

I rather enjoyed Lab Rats

I doubt J.K. knew that 'muggles' was Jazz Slang for marijuana. Louis Armstrong recorded "Muggles" in praise.

Well read Das Glasperlenspiel first and Perfume. But if you are not fond of kid's books I wouldn't bother.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 12:39 PM BST

Well read Das Glasperlenspiel first and Perfume. But if you are not fond of kid's books I wouldn't bother.

Have already read those (I highly recommend "Lost Property Office" by Siegfried Lenz*). It's not children's books, it's fantasy books that I usually find difficult to relate to (HP being an exception there).

Now we've wandered way off topic (We should probably move to "What are you reading at the moment"?).

* http://www.hoffmann-und-campe.de/go/e6607001-3048-22ab-57c7b952ff459e33/frl=EN

I tell you a good kid's book, The Magic Pudding.

This thread has gone off topic...

Unpinned as it's gone off-thread.

I believe I have found another company which may accept scripts: Perfectly Normal Productions, the company behind The PMQ Show amongst other things. I sent them an email ask whether they accepted scripts and they said:

You're very welcome to send us a script, we obviously make no promises of any kind but one of us will do our best to read it.

Sadly, I can't find the company address.

I wondered why we were getting traffic from this board, now I know!

I understand the difficulty in getting scripts read. As a small company, we've usually got our heads down trying to make the programmes we've been commissioned for and with the modest level of radio budgets, it's important to keep busy.

That said, I've read every script so far passed to me (and I MUCH prefer emailed scripts rather than stuff sent in the post) and where I think suitable, I pass on either to Dirk Maggs, who you may know from some of his radio comedy work, or our MD.

The real difficulty is not so much getting past us, but getting the BBC to commission it given the very small amount of commissioning available to the independent companies.

That all said, we've a show that starts on Radio 2 at the end of this month, The Adventures of Sexton Blake, and that was written by two writers who approached us out of the blue. One has professional writing experience, but not the other and neither had written for radio before. Through blackmail, alcohol and a corseted rabbit, we managed to get it commissioned.

What I'm personally interested in is getting aspiring radio writers and producers to make contact with each other and people actually making programmes, either through our forum (which is quiet at the moment although I've put up some articles) or via boards like this.

Sorry, long reply, hope it's of some use.

Cheers for stopping by and giving feedback. :)