List of companies to send scripts to Page 8

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 10:30 AM BST

No one can do that. It's more of a marathon then a sprint, constantly writing/improving. And superb is an opinion, you can only control the quality not how much it is appreciated.

But a boy band with the potential of genius. In the same way on this site maybe the next Croft and Perry, or Chris Morris.

Just currently writing a jobbing writer wriing nob gags.

Well we know after the event they had the poential of 'genius' - not sure about that - timing was everything, but it was only when they started writing their own stuff that the potential 'genus' you make mention of was made manifest. So they can kick themselves for not signing them up, but on the basis of what they were presented with at the time I don't think they can criticise their own professional sensibilities - whereas those who turned down the Philosophers Stone can. There is no logical reason why it became the enormous success that it did, except of course the Americans turning it into a craze. But it was still a rattling good tale and to be fair, a funny first novel. Not particularly original, not a brilliant example of the genre (see Earthsea trilogy), but a fun story well told with lots of imagination. I think JK was a victim unfortunately of her own success. I wish I had her bad luck!

JK Rowling is a great natural writer of effective thrillers.

The first book may not be literature, but it's pacy, funny snd exiting.

What's more it's all of those things whilst be child friendly.

I always figure the mark of a true author is if they can write for kids.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 10:47 AM BST

I actually believe in the system, God help me. Nobody is looking to publish bad stuff. Even the dimmest script reader or publishing assistant can tell whether your prose grips them or whether they laugh at your jokes, and pass it up the food chain for the commissioners to look at. If you write something good, someone, somewhere will notice it eventually.

Yeah, spot on.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 10:59 AM BST

There is no logical reason why it became the enormous success that it did

There's a perfectly logical resaon. They're f**king ace stories, well told, and with great imagination that makes it feel both plausible, and fantastical. But perhaps you have to be more of my age in order to appreciate it properly.

When's that cocktail party Griff? Can I come?

Yeah but is there cocktails???

The first thing I ever really sold was a chldrens book in verse to Dorling Kindersley called the White Feather Cloak.

Actually the first writing I ever got paid for was a poem called 'The Well Endowed Robot' I got a tenner for it and still have the cheque somewhere.

:)

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 11:08 AM BST

There's a perfectly logical resaon. They're f**king ace stories, well told, and with great imagination that makes it feel both plausible, and fantastical. But perhaps you have to be more of my age in order to appreciate it properly.

Based on the first one, which is the only one I have read, they are a peculiar melange of derivative fantasy and elitist public school novel cosiness, laced with some rather obvious humour. I can understand why they might appeal to kids, but I find their appeal to adults bewildering. And I say this as someone who reads and admires the children's fantasy novels of authors such as Philip Pullman, Ursula Le Guin, Alan Garner, Jenny Nimmo and Philip Reeve,

Quote: Timbo @ August 15 2008, 11:21 AM BST

Based on the first one, which is the only one I have read, they are a peculiar melange of derivative fantasy and elitist public school novel cosiness, laced with some rather obvious humour.

You're falling into the trap of forgetting that it's almost exclusively writers and critics who give a shit about humour being "obvious". To every other person in the country, funny is funny, whether you know what the punchline or outcome of the tale will be. It just doesn't matter to the people your work has to appeal to. Similarly with the accusation of "derivative" fantasy. No one else gives a shit.

And I have no idea what's wrong with public schools etc.

Neil Gaiman. Stephen King, Charles Dickens, Graham Joyce all wrote decent kid stories.

What I meant was when you can't use sex, violence, or overly complex ideas it throws an author down on their most basic skills. That said Salman Rushdie writes kids books and sucks.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 11:23 AM BST

And I suspect that many of the people reading JK Rowling hadn't read all those other series you mention (Alan Garner is terrific too, as is Lloyd Alexander if you've ever read him) and so the Potter books didn't seem derivative and unoriginal to them. JKR came along with her particular twist on that genre after a long gap, so the market was ready for new stuff.

And that.

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 11:08 AM BST

No I appreciate all you say. Well certainly for the first couple. And no I can appreciate them - I am a long time fan of the genre. Am writing a fantasy novel bit by bit myself. A cross between a Sam Spade novel and a Robert E Howard one - A Private Barbarian story if you will.

But the Potter thing is a non recurring phenonemon, that kind of engendered itself as it grew into something never seen before. It was a craze like the hula hoop or the Beatles. Kids had to have the Potter book as much as an artifact in itself, if not more, than for the story within.

It drew attention to Phil Pullmanm he is ace.

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 11:27 AM BST

You're falling into the trap of forgetting that it's almost exclusively writers and critics who give a shit about humour being "obvious". To every other person in the country, funny is funny, whether you know what the punchline or outcome of the tale will be. It just doesn't matter to the people your work has to appeal to. Similarly with the accusation of "derivative" fantasy. No one else gives a shit.

Sorry that is complete nonsense. Only writers care if jokes are obvious? Bollocks.

No-one cares if fantasy is derivative? They do if they have read any other fantasy.

And I have no idea what's wrong with public schools etc.

Children identify with the young wizards, that is to be expected, just as I in my local comp identified with Jennings. But adults should have the insight to recognise that they are muggles, who have not been born into a world of privilege.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 11:32 AM BST

No I appreciate all you say. Well certainly for the first couple. And no I can appreciate them - I am a long time fan of the genre. Am writing a fantasy novel bit by bit myself. A cross between a Sam Spade novel and a Robert E Howard one - A Private Barbarian story if you will.

I didn't mean exclusively. Just more likelihood that they'd appeal to me age group - when the first book was published, I was the exact same age as Harry was meant to be.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 11:32 AM BST

Kids had to have the Potter book as much as an artifact in itself, if not more, than for the story within.

Ah I see. Yes. Well that part of it can certainly be attributed to the media and merchandising machine!

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 11:23 AM BST

Alan Garner is terrific too, as is Lloyd Alexander if you've ever read him

Lloyd Alexander rocks.

Quote: Aaron @ August 15 2008, 11:38 AM BST

Ah I see. Yes. Well that part of it can certainly be attributed to the media and merchandising machine!

I actually think it was the kids themselves who gave the craze its momentum.