List of companies to send scripts to Page 6

Quote: Marc P @ May 31 2008, 10:15 AM BST

Just send your best stuff in then.

But by default some people won't have 'best stuff' - 'best stuff' meaning stuff that will interest them.

Just be honest with yourself then Seefacts, if you don't think it is the best it can be - then don't send it in until you think it is.

I have something with them at the moment - but I was quite happy with it. We'll see if they are!
:)

I gave them the option of a couple of scripts of mine, which I thought were good. I sent them a e-mail query with some synopses. The lady (Kate) who responded asked me to send what I thought was best in. I shall be doing that on Monday, when I've checked it doesn't have any spelling mistakes, etc.

Fingers crossed hotzappa11 :)

Quote: Marc P @ May 31 2008, 12:39 PM BST

Just be honest with yourself then Seefacts, if you don't think it is the best it can be - then don't send it in until you think it is.

I have something with them at the moment - but I was quite happy with it. We'll see if they are!

The difference there is you've got the confidence of someone who's had work commissioned etc. Not everyone shares that.

And with confidence comes proof you know what you're doing and that you can't be bad at it either.

All companies get swarmed with material, most of which isn't good enough from people who either can't tell it's not good enough, or are just starting out and are sending stuff out too quickly.

These companies then change their minds and cut off the avenue to save their time.

Quote: Marc P @ May 31 2008, 1:00 PM BST

Fingers crossed hotzappa11 :)

Cheers. Cool

I sent a company my best stuff and they said it was 'shit stuff'.

Now I'm confused.

Quote: Morrace @ August 14 2008, 7:07 PM BST

I sent a company my best stuff and they said it was 'shit stuff'.

Now I'm confused.

What would yopu worst stuff be?

Quote: David Chapman @ August 14 2008, 8:10 PM BST

What would yopu worst stuff be?

My worst is Shit. My best is La Crème du Merde.

The best thing you can do is acheive a median level of acceptable quality and keep sending stuff out. Some companies are assholes and some can't tell shit from, sugar. Remember the Beatles got turned down by agents.

But you have to hit that level of quality. You'll only do that by writing and getting others to read it.

To be fair the Beatles weren't the Beatles when they got turned down by agents, just a boy band doing covers.

More gutting would be the folk who turned down the first Harry Potter book - which is the best of them - so they have no excuses.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2008, 9:11 AM BST

The best thing you can do is acheive a median level of acceptable quality and keep sending stuff out.

Really? Surely the best thing would be to consistently turn out a superb level of quality.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 9:38 AM BST

More gutting would be the folk who turned down the first Harry Potter book - which is the best of them - so they have no excuses.

I always thought that that was quite frankly hilarious. Every publisher across London turns her down, then a tiny little company gives the book a chance, and they're rolling in it. :D

Quote: David Bussell @ August 15 2008, 10:13 AM BST

Really? Surely the best thing would be to consistently turn out a superb level of quality.

No one can do that. It's more of a marathon then a sprint, constantly writing/improving. And superb is an opinion, you can only control the quality not how much it is appreciated.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2008, 9:38 AM BST

To be fair the Beatles weren't the Beatles when they got turned down by agents, just a boy band doing covers.

But a boy band with the potential of genius. In the same way on this site maybe the next Croft and Perry, or Chris Morris.

Just currently writing a jobbing writer wriing nob gags.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2008, 10:30 AM BST

Well, Bloomsbury weren't exactly an unknown nobody beforehand - they'd already published Booker prize winning novels like The English Patient. But admittedly, Harry Potter turned them from a small firm into a big one.

Well, no. That's true. Not quite "tiny little". But certainly comparitively small, like you say.

I wonder if anyone in other companies lost their jobs over it. Probably not, but very amusing if so.