Russia's declared war Page 12

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2008, 12:04 PM BST

So how come the interest in the British sitcom?

Because British comedy is the greatest, foreign TV is crap (see: Finck, anyone who lives in France, etc.), and IIRC his profession is as an English translator.

Quote: Aaron @ August 12 2008, 12:03 PM BST

Point was that whilst it may have been, it's rather akin to commenting that the shit your dog just left in a park was more pleasantly fragrant than any it has produced in the past.

Well what ever you may think of him, there's several million Kosavan Albanians who are very grateful.

I feel similarly about Thatcher.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2008, 12:04 PM BST

So how come the interest in the British sitcom?
I remember reading somewhere that repeats of the Onedin Line were the only joy for Rumanians under Ceacescu.

Beats me. All things British has always attracted me and aroused interest in me. I love good humour. I guess it was natural. I do always joke I'm a nr.1 Britcom fan in this country, and I thought myself to be fairly knowledgeable on the subject. Until I stumbled upon this site.

There were no sitcoms (or ANY kind of series) on Soviet-era television, and to this day sitcoms are largely ignored on Latvian TV (Russian, too, I can watch it here). They did manage to show most of the cream of the crop in 1990s, but these days sitcoms, apart from some American crap, are not aired here. For a weird reason, Keeping Up Appearances is massively popular around here, though, and there is an episode every weekend. In Loving Memory was also quite popular - I guess locals love senile humour :)

But that's off the point :)

Quote: WrongTale @ August 12 2008, 12:12 PM BST

Beats me. All things British has always attracted me and aroused interest in me. I love good humour. I guess it was natural. I do always joke I'm a nr.1 Britcom fan in this country, and I thought myself to be fairly knowledgeable on the subject. Until I stumbled upon this site.

There were no sitcoms (or ANY kind of series) on Soviet-era television, and to this day sitcoms are largely ignored on Latvian TV (Russian, too, I can watch it here). They did manage to show most of the cream of the crop in 1990s, but these days sitcoms, apart from some American crap, are not aired here. For a weird reason, Keeping Up Appearances is massively popular around here, though, and there is an episode every weekend. In Loving Memory was also quite popular - I guess locals love senile humour :)

But that's off the point :)

Wsn't there one Soviet era crime thriller? That was really dull because officialy there was no crime?

Quote: WrongTale @ August 12 2008, 12:12 PM BST

There were no sitcoms (or ANY kind of series) on Soviet-era television

Another point against communism. ;)

Didn't Trotsky have clowns shot?

Communists are clowns.

Quote: sootyj @ August 12 2008, 12:14 PM BST

Wsn't there one Soviet era crime thriller? That was really dull because officialy there was no crime?

You probably mean this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventeen_Moments_of_Spring

Well... there were few miniseries, let's just say. With four, seven, even twelve episodes, each lasting like a full-length film. One was post-war era crime, another was melodramatic series (made by Latvian film studio, actually).

There was crime in Soviet Union - you're confusing it with sex. But there was no crime among high-ranking officials, in army, etc. I mean - how can you keep up morale in the masses, if even somebody in the Party is committing crimes, although only on screen? :)

I am always so bleeding suprised that people never learn . . . what wrong with everyone? Drink more tea, hug more and have sex or go jogging or knit - just don't fight like pirates. Pirate

Tea sucks!

Quote: chipolata @ August 12 2008, 10:44 AM BST

Russian women can be quite sexy. Look at all those hot Ruskie tennis playing girls. And remember Tatu? They were hot.

Agreed. Russia does seem to have a high number of lovelies.
Yana Cova too (feck yeah).

Russia didn't declare war to Georgia, it's was the other way round.
0808 2008, the day of Olympic Games opening, when all wars should be stopped, Georgia started to kill South Osetian civillians, and after that Russia had to defend Osetians, because it's too much Russians lives (lived!) in there.
There are videos showing how Georgian soldiers killing Osetian civillians, only you will not see them. Georgia's misinformation war are way more successful, than the real one.
Once again - Russia DIDN't declare any wars! It was Geogian mental president, who is doomed anyway, because Osetian people won't going to forget thousands of peaceful people killed. Blood feud is on.

there goes some info, because my English is not good http://evrazia.org/article.php?id=580

and yes, I'm Russian. and I like British sitcoms - that's why i'm here. I just feel really bad, when i see lies about what's happening. We are not some stupid evil empire. And anyways this is war between regimes and governments, not between ordinary people. Russian and Georgians has always been fraternal nations.

and last thing - Events developed before my eyes(i mean in our news)like that:
Georgia starts genocide in South Osetia => Russian peacemaking corps pushed back Georgian soldiers to prevent killings of civillians => Georgian president Saakashvili declares war to Russia.

Quote: ian_w @ August 12 2008, 3:55 PM BST

Agreed. Russia does seem to have a high number of lovelies.
Yana Cova too (feck yeah).

Doesn't look anything special!

Quote: cts @ August 12 2008, 4:02 PM BST

Russia didn't declare war to Georgia, it's was the other way round.
0808 2008, the day of Olympic Games opening, when all wars should be stopped, Georgia started to kill South Osetian civillians, and after that Russia had to defend Osetians, because it's too much Russians lives (lived!) in there.
There are videos showing how Georgian soldiers killing Osetian civillians, only you will not see them. Georgia's misinformation war are way more successful, than the real one.
Once again - Russia DIDN't declare any wars! It was Geogian mental president, who is doomed anyway, because Osetian people won't going to forget thousands of peaceful people killed. Blood feud is on.

there goes some info, because my English is not good http://evrazia.org/article.php?id=580

and yes, I'm Russian. and I like British sitcoms - that's why i'm here. I just feel really bad, when i see lies about what's happening. We are not some stupid evil empire. And anyways this is war between regimes and governments, not between ordinary people. Russian and Georgians has always been fraternal nations.

and last thing - Events developed before my eyes(i mean in our news)like that:
Georgia starts genocide in South Osetia => Russian peacemaking corps pushed back Georgian soldiers to prevent killings of civillians => Georgian president Saakashvili declares war to Russia.

Welcome to the board cts Wave

Wow, interesting post - nice to see an opinion from the other side of the fence.

Interesting take on it, cts. I suspect both sides have been fed crap by their respect governments and media institutions, so it'll be a while before the full sequence of events comes into the open.

Welcome to the site.