Tonightly Page 2

God that was painful! Jason Manford was actually quite impressive when I saw him on Live at the apollo but on this his timing was baaaad. I expected more but what can you expect from a show that prides itself on having Ken Livingstone as guest.

Piss poor. And is this part of the current heavily-trailed Channel 4 drive to give new people a break on telly over the next month?

I like the backdrop (is that the correct term? *shrugs*) though. There's a Forbidden Planet somewhere missing one of it's display walls.

Tonightly is.. terrible.. it had so much potential during when i saw the trailer but it's full of obvious jokes and far from funny ones! That ginger guy pisses me off as well. I would rather watch eamon holmes!
:|

Wave

Mind if I join in on this one?

I've watched this show a few times and have my own theories.

I like the presenter - Jason is naturally funny and quick witted - on 8 out of 10 cats he was a great success.

The whole point is that they are using the show as a platform for 'new talent' - this includes the writers. I feel what is holding him back is that he is telling SOMEONE ELSE'S jokes That's what's spoiling the show. The mini sketches are poor - I agree with that one - but I DO think Jason Manford is a worthwhile comedian and I expect to see him more on our screens after this.

Hi CK101 - welcome to the site and thanks for sharing your opinions. Tonightly is far from a bad idea and I hope over these two weeks they can polish the production into something good.

Having watched a couple more, I think choosing Jason Manford as host was a good idea. In my opinion he can't yet, as you suggest, deliver other people's jokes particularly well (I'm been thinking how Carr, Deayton etc would deliver the same lines) but the off-the-cuff stuff is already good and no doubt over time he will become more practiced at delivering auto-cue jokes too?

I had it on in the background last night and it wasn't as is bad being made out.

I watched a few them and gave it a go. I think Jason Manford holds the whole thing together, his stuff is usually the funniest. The sketches in between are a real let down and so is that woman's bit. She basically goes through internet jokes that were sent around the office five years ago.

The only sketch I did like was the Hollywood reporter who interviews the script doctor (played by that actor that is everywhere but never the deserved lead). However they did almost exactly the same sketch a few shows later, they didn't even try to freshen it up.

I feel a bit sorry for Manford as you can see his expressions after seeing a sketch he knows is poor. Like that celebrity cleaner who you can't even understand. Yeah, the ginger tv guy is quite good but the roving reporter is just a rip off from Brass Eye/11 O'Clock show.

I'm still sticking with this (when it doesn't clash with anything else). I thought the last two nights have had some enjoyable stuff on. That Ollie kid with the red hair is normally alright as is Jack Whitehall. But something that made me lol was the 'Terrorist outtakes'. Very funny. Jason Manford and the woman still don't gel though.

I can't get over that scrawny, unfunny posh kid, saying that joke about Jade Goody having Cancer. F**king hell, I know she's hated, but she doesn't deserve that.

I thought it was funny.

Wow. I wonder whether her little kids would agree with you?

I missed the gag, what was it?

Quote: catskillz @ August 21 2008, 3:58 PM BST

Wow. I wonder whether her little kids would agree with you?

I doubt they were watching. It's probably all a publicity stunt anyway. I mean, being told by the Indian Big Brother in the diary room. Call me cynical (or sick) if you want, but I wouldn't put it past her.

The gag was something like;
The first thing I thought when I heard Jade was to undergo surgery was 'f**k me those tasks are getting hard'.

That's not really a joke about her though. Compared to some of the jokes I've heard on the net that was practically sympathetic.

And you can't not tell a joke because it would hurt a few relations.

And I don't believe for a second it's a publicity stunt, the risk of people finding out and absolutely f**king despising her and her PR would be too high.