On The Buses Page 4

Jack I'm with you. OTB was a real stormer in it's day. Still funny now for me.

Glad you agree Frankie. What annoys me is the way people compare it to Are You Being Served? probably due to the innuendo. You can easily relate to the characters from On The Buses. How on earth could you relate to anybody from Are You Being Served?? The characters from On The Buses were just like real people, the AYBS characters are way over the top. This for me makes 'Buses' mountains higher in quality than AYBS.

I'd go along with that.

But I liked both shows, partly because of the actors in them too.

But AYBS never had the same impact as OTB, which emptied the pubs.

My girlfriends surname is Butler. How she laughs when I say ..' I hate you Butler!'

:)

Quote: David Chapman @ August 2 2008, 1:36 AM BST

My wife keeps watching them on ITV4 or something.

It really was lame and a classic example of ITV comedy.

I'm not a snob but BBC comedies in the 70s seemed to much more clever without being smartarse but ITV ones were just lowest common denominator stuff.

I actually really enjoy ITV comedies, up until the early 1980s when they became, IMO, far more patchy and "meh". Yes they're often on a different level to much of the BBC programming, but I find that the two balance each other out.

I have a question I need answering if anybody can.

I was watching On The Buses on ITV3 today and Reg varney wasn't in either episode or the credits and why was that, Was this when he suffered a heart attack.

How many episodes/series happened without Reg Varney in them.

I'm surprised they carried on without him actually.

Also Olive's husband weren't in it either and I thought he was always in it.

Anyway they looked like late episodes to me but i'm not an expert.

Any help would be appreciated :).

Not a clue I'm afraid. I'm sure Jack will help.

But as a quick plug: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/on_the_buses/

Not a clue ?

Aaron you let me down, I thought you knew everything lol.

I can't afford the DVDs!

This may help (under Trivia) http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0063936/

Yea thanks.

He left midway through the very last series and wasn't in the last 6 episodes.

Still surprised though as I thought he was there from beginning to end.

Thanks though.

Nah worries

Jack will help, sorry just got on the post. Yes, Reg Varney left the show due to a film commitment, so his charactor was said to have gone to build buses rather than drive them. Yet he would revisit the role of Stan Butler in the 1973 film 'Holiday On the Buses'

I expect everyone has already seen and commented on this elsewhere. I slotted it here because it mentions On The Buses as ITV's sitcom heyday.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=8888324

Do you agree?

Agreed, ITV's sitcom heyday was certainly the 1970s. As criticised as 1970s ITV sitcoms are, I'd rather watch an episode of On The Buses which was shown on ITV in the 1970s than watch a documentary a super-human or somebody who is 80 stone or a programme worrying me to death about a serious illnesses that I have the symptons to, that ITV only ever tend to show. Oh well, I still watch Coronation Street, the best thing on ITV at the minute.