The Office: An American Workplace Page 7

They are both great, but I still massively prefer the UK one.
I don't think the US one could ever make me cry, for example. It's entertaining, but not emotionally engaging.

Quote: chipolata @ July 14 2008, 12:31 PM BST

I think this is being repeated on ITV2 at about 7:30 each night.

Good. This is a fantastic show, deserving of a much bigger audience that it presumably gets at midnight, even given the modern wonders of hard-drive recorders and the like. It stands at least equal to the original and has been the consistenly best sitcom on telly for a few months now. I gather this weeks episode is the last of the current season. Anybody know when they're going to show the next one?

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2008, 1:42 PM BST

I don't think the US one could ever make me cry, for example.

Probably not, but is that a quality you want in your sitcom? The UK Office was not, and wasn't supposed to be, a "funny" show. The US one goes for laugh after laugh but still retains the ability to make you feel for Micheal (the hollowen one with the kids, the deposition (superb episode, best of ANY office for me), etc.

I'd rather it scored 100% on the funny and 50% on the heart strings than the other way round.

What is interesting is they turned it into a show that Gervais shouldn't like (according to his principles - i'm sure the $ help !) it had catch phrases ("question" , "that's what she said", "big tuna" even) and coincidences/set ups for gags all over the place....and in doing so it showed you don't need to adopt the Gervais/Merchant higher ground at ALL times and, in fact, resorting to some good old fun is actually more sustainable and...fun! (and dont forget - the US Office spin off..coming soon!)

Yeah -- we'll buy it back next: The Office: An American Workplace In Slough

Dan

*shudder*

Quote: swerytd @ July 14 2008, 2:29 PM BST

Yeah -- we'll buy it next: The Office: An American Workplace In Slough

Dan

It wouldn't be a bad idea! A comedy that uses Gervais basis for humour but ramps up the funny and deals with the gay/disabled/black issues in a much lighter way (i dont think Brent would ever kiss a gay employee to show he's ok with homosexuals!) would be a lot better than whats on right now!

Quote: Pete @ July 14 2008, 2:02 PM BST

Probably not, but is that a quality you want in your sitcom? The UK Office was not, and wasn't supposed to be, a "funny" show. The US one goes for laugh after laugh but still retains the ability to make you feel for Micheal (the hollowen one with the kids, the deposition (superb episode, best of ANY office for me), etc.

I'd rather it scored 100% on the funny and 50% on the heart strings than the other way round.

That's what I'm saying. They are two completely different styles. And I prefer the style of the UK one.

Both have their merits. But surely the whole point of doing a US version of the show was that it would take the original premise and make it its own. I'm never going to love it the way I did the UK original, but it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.

Which is also what I said.

I should just make my posts and then not let anyone else speak ever. I've said it all.

*polishes nails on t shirt*

Quote: zooo @ July 14 2008, 6:46 PM BST

Which is also what I said.

I should just make my posts and then not let anyone else speak ever. I've said it all.

*polishes nails on t shirt*

Sorry..........

;)

Watched this for the first time today. Actually not that bad...and totally agree with what everyone else said about not watching it with the same frame of mind as I do as the UK Office.

Not as cringy... which is nice.

When the American version first came out I was horrified. Then when I watched it, it was hard to appreciate as the script was quite similar to the UK one, as were the characters. Like the scene where Jim explains to the camera what his job entails, was near enough word for word and gesticulation for gesticulation the same as Tim's from the UK version.

However...

Series 2 and onwards of the US version were superb.

Totally different show to the UK version. The UK version was more 'real' and documentary like. It played on the mundane and quirkiness of a typical UK Office - it was just written well enough to not be completely boring to watch (although some will disagree, don't hit me Aaron!).

The US version was on a more surreal twist, and although many elements could be echoed in a real life office, a large proportion was quite ridiculous. However, that didn't matter one bit, cos the show was bloody hilarious. They stepped away from the rigid documentary "real life" format - they exchanged it for a different, more direct, comedic approach and it worked very well.

It ended up being more like Arrested Development or Curb Your Enthusiasm than the UK version of The Office. There were still references to a "camera crew" and there were still the cut-away scenes (talking head style) with the documentary crew - but they were far less obvious than in the UK version.

Some fantastic characters in the US version too. Like Andy Bernard and his anger management issues. When the branches combine he decides to emulate the key people in his new office in order to progress and move up the ladder - however continual tricks and taunts by Jim and Pam drive him to punch a hole in the office wall and he gets sent off on an 8 week anger management course!

Top show.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 18 2008, 11:54 PM BST

Also Dwight is one of the greatest sitcom characters around at the minute, he takes the role of the Gareth character but you would never really think to compare the two now. Dwight is much more 'involved' and played amazingly by Raiin Wilson.

Totally agree with that. Mackenzie was wicked as Gareth, but the character of Dwight Shrute is immense!

Quote: jeej @ July 15 2008, 6:34 AM BST

Totally agree with that. Mackenzie was wicked as Gareth, but the character of Dwight Shrute is immense!

Again, he's given so many "good" qualities he much easier on the brain than 50 episodes of Gareth. His saving Jim, his ping pong skills...he's just a step away from being a nice bloke!