The Royle Family!

Just found out about the 2006 "one off" episode ~ Queen of Sheba. Is this all that's happened since the 2000 Christmas Special? (been living in Canada since Dec 2002, so I'm out in the cold as far as keeping in touch with my British Telly)

Yep, it was broadcast on the 29th of October. Already available on DVD.

Thanks Aaron! ... Any rumours on a series follow up in 2007?

There are always rumours of shows returning, but I can't say that I have personally seen anything convincing regarding The Royle Family.

Just notice this on the back of my well-worn first series video box and it made me laugh out loud

THE ROYLE FAMILY

The Complete 1st Series

“By some distance the bleakest and best new British sitcom of the year” Guardian

“Poignant, funny, inventive and beautifully written… a masterpiece” Daily Mail

“The best sitcom of the decade” Time Out

“A complete waste of my licence fee” A bald London cabbie Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Barry

Quote: SivoxII @ December 26, 2006, 11:04 AM

Any rumours on a series follow up in 2007?

The last DVD was titled “The Queen of Sheba - The Finale”

Sparking fears that it was ending but I think that when Ricky Tomlinson was interview he denied this, Not that there means there will be any new ones, just that they haven’t made any decisions one way or the other

Barry

I am a big fan of The Royle Family, but I found the Queen of Sheba episode quite dissapointing, there weren't enough laughs in it. It was too morbid and there was too much singing. Does anyone agree or disagree

More emotional then morbid I would say and I love it

The music in it was an excellent way of moving the story on, as they clearly couldn’t do the normal real time thing with it being just a one-hour special.

I can’t fault a second of it.

Barry

I think it would have been miles funnier if there was just 1 hour of the Royles sat on the settee talking, that's why it's famous. It is much more funnier and makes better viewing

And the Bafta goes to...

And rightly so, I think Liz Smith is up for an award of her own…Laughing out loud .COME ON LIZ

It’s about time this show got the recognition for being perhaps the best bit of TV ever made and hope it encourages the writers to pen some more.

Lol, that scene where Dave is reading that book to Nana should win an award on its own!

The thing about Royle Family is because it was a unique sitcom - I know families like it.

It could never be replicated - thank goodness.

I always liked Mrs Merton too - with her mass debates.

Never liked the Royal Family. I don't care how much people praise it, it is a dismal "comedy".

Quote: Walker @ May 21, 2007, 4:57 PM

Never liked the Royal Family. I don't care how much people praise it, it is a dismal "comedy".

Me, too. Over-rated crap!