The Likely Lads

I've just been watching The Likely Lads and Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? for the first time, over the past few days. Really love them, particularly the latter. I was worried it would be a bit too northern and regional, but not in the slightest. It's great.

Really two very funny shows, which I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't had the pleasure.

WHTTLL is as good as it gets in sitcom.

** Sigh

Sigh?

It's one of my favourite sitcoms. I even thought the film was reasonable compared to some sitcom - film crossovers (although not good by any stretch of the imagination).

However I'm sure I'd tire of it if it was repeated on TV as regularly as other sitcom from the same period.

There's a stage version on tour at the moment.

Quote: Aaron @ June 24 2008, 11:14 AM BST

Sigh?

Well the best I can say about this thread - it's like going on to a football forum and opening a thread about George Best and telling those who haven't heard about him that he was a bloody good footballer. :P

Erm. Not really. Comedy is subjective. I'm saying that I didn't think I'd like it, but have enjoyed it a lot. Football players are either good or bad. It's not open to opinion. You can kick a football and play in a team, or not. Apart from both being long finished, I don't see any similarity, certainly not in the way you are implying.

Some people won't have seen the show, so I'm recommending it. Think of the young 'uns who are members, some of whom don't even post in this forum very often. Robyn, Charly, Elliot and Ellie spring to mind. Even zooo might not have seen it.

This is, after all, what a forum about British sitcoms is for.

Absolutely brilliant, 'The Likely Lads' is very good and 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads' is one of the greatest sitcoms ever. I watched the episode 'A Storm in a Tea Chest' yesterday, have you watched that one Aaron, if so, I'm sure you agree that Robert Gillespie was superb as the Police Seargent in it.

Yes, watched that this morning. Good, but thought it was one of the weaker of the first series.

Certainly one of the weaker episodes, but Robert Gillespie was brilliant in it: 'Insurance fraud was it. You and the Clergy trying to do Lloyds for half a million'

Anyway, have you watched any from series two. Funnier than series one in my opinion.

I am confused over what to purchase. Play and Amazon 'appear' to have 2 different sets:

Play.com (6 disks)

The Very Best of Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads (£24.99)

It states - Includes every episode from series 1, 2 and 3 from TLL and series 1 and 2 of WHTTLL.

Amazon.co.uk (6 Disks)

The Likely Lads Collection (£15.97)

It states - 8 surviving episodes of TLL, and all of series 1 and 2 plus the xmas special of WHTTLL.

So whats going on?

Def.

Quote: Jack Massey @ June 24 2008, 1:40 PM BST

Anyway, have you watched any from series two.

No, not yet.

Quote: Deferenz @ June 24 2008, 2:31 PM BST

I am confused over what to purchase. Play and Amazon 'appear' to have 2 different sets:

*snip*

So whats going on?

Def.

What's going on is that Play are idiots. It's exactly the same thing, but they've put the incorrect details in. Just buy from wherever's cheapest.

Very annoyed about the DVD boxset. I bought the DVD with all the 'surviving' episodes of 'The Likely Lads' when it came out. When the big box set came out with 'The Likely Lads' and 'Whatever Happened', they put another episode of 'The Likely Lads' which they 'forgot' to put on the original DVD titled 'The Other Side of the Fence' What's going on. As a 'Likely Lads' completist, I find it outrageous the only way I can see the episode is to pay £25 on the box-set of 35 episodes when I have 34 of them, so I'm not doing it.

A few points:

What were the dates exactly? Perhaps they found the other episode after releasing the DVD?

You can get it far cheaper than £25.

You could eBay the ones you already have after purchasing the box?

With regard to what Jack is saying with the extra episode, does it actually have anything to do with which set you get? I know you said both sets are the same but what if one contains the extra episode?

Play.com's box set was called; The Very Best of Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads. Whereas Amazon's was called The Likely Lads Collection. The question could be - which set is the latest?

Def.