Nathan Barley Page 5

Quote: swerytd @ May 22 2008, 9:01 AM BST

Yet another 'comedy' actor losing respect from me...

If it's good enough for Ian McKellen, etc.

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2008, 12:46 PM BST

Yet another yet another 'comedy' actor losing respect from me...

Dan

Quote: zooo @ May 22 2008, 12:46 PM BST

To be fair, McKellan is a bit of a tit. Although I did like his hairstyle in Scandal.

Over the weekend I watched the whole series of Nathan Barley for the first time.

I thought it was pretty good. Parodied that new-age media yuppie perfectly.

I have, however, started drinking my coffee with fish and other meat in it*.

*Disclaimer: I don't actually drink coffee.

Apparently there's a second series on the way. I've heard it's going to feature Nathan's brother.

Last thing I heard bout a second series was that it was planned, but currently on the "back burner".

I heard it would involve nathan working as a media guy for a terrorist organization. (seriously)

Cant say I like the sound of that. Sounds almost slapstick.

I have been watching this show on YouTube and it has to be one of the best ever written.

I think it might have got even better had it been given another series and if it had been given a chance like other shows that had failed to gain a follwing in their first run (Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf, OFAH, Royle Family). Its quality would have shone through to the slightly slower viewers and it would have been a mainstream success.

It is a minor head f**k that the guy who played Nathan is the posh guy from Benidorm.

But it wasn't really very funny. At all. I can't comprehend any possible way it could have stayed particularly similar to the first series, and been anything other than the cult/niche hit it already is.

Or, in reality, "no it wasn't". So nerr.

Quote: Aaron @ January 6 2010, 1:36 AM GMT

But it wasn't really very funny. At all. I can't comprehend any possible way it could have stayed particularly similar to the first series, and been anything other than the cult/niche hit it already is.

As much as I enjoyed it, NB has really dated now and was far too incestuously 'meeja' to ever get mainstream acceptance. If you were aware of that new media, Brit Pop, trendy Hoxton crowd at the time, then it was quite a telling indictment but now it seems as relevent as Curry and Chips.

The last series of French and Saunders committed that crime, with the constant sketches featuring Jennifer and Dawn sat in the BBC production offices trying to come up with funny jokes but just slacking off. Unless the wider audience is in on the joke, it's only going to appeal to a select group of people.

I agree with Griff here. In fact, it's one of the funniest sitcoms ever.

Dan

Just to clear this matter up, Nathan Barley is superb.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 6 2010, 12:50 PM GMT

As much as I enjoyed it, NB has really dated now and was far too incestuously 'meeja' to ever get mainstream acceptance. If you were aware of that new media, Brit Pop, trendy Hoxton crowd at the time, then it was quite a telling indictment but now it seems as relevent as Curry and Chips.

I think even now the world of Nathan Barley can still be recognised by everyone, there are still people like that and clubs and restaurants and magazines etc.. and there will always be people full of arty bullshit in the way most of the characters are.