Would Till Death Us Do Part get an airing today? Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2008, 3:32 PM BST

But Mind Your Language wasn't actually racist.

So what, it still falls under the political correctness portion of the thread

Quote: Baumski @ June 21 2008, 3:52 PM BST

And it's important to remember Bill Reynolds (Rudolph Walker) who spouted his equally ignorant catchphrases: "white honky" and "snowflake" or else the implication is that the only racism remembered is from white characters.

Yup he fought back, I remember, didn't have the same affect on a largely white population - after all we champion the underdog don't we? ;)

Quote: Baumski @ June 21 2008, 3:52 PM BST

And it's important to remember Bill Reynolds (Rudolph Walker) who spouted his equally ignorant catchphrases: "white honky" and "snowflake" or else the implication is that the only racism remembered is from white characters.

Not really. It was just a way of getting away with white characters mouthing humorously offensive racial abusive, by saying it's okay, they call us names too.

Quote: Alan C @ June 21 2008, 3:56 PM BST

So what, it still falls under the political correctness portion of the thread

True, but the original question referred only to Till Death Us Do Part, which ... Well I dunno.

I enjoy Mind Your Language. I think that it is funny. I would like to see series four.

Quote: Aaron @ June 21 2008, 4:16 PM BST

True, but the original question referred only to Till Death Us Do Part, which ... Well I dunno.

There are two questions and the 2nd one supplements the first.

Political correctness - has it left a permanent scarring on the sitcom landscape?

That is a question in itself?

Quote: Timbo @ June 21 2008, 4:12 PM BST

Not really. It was just a way of getting away with white characters mouthing humorously offensive racial abusive, by saying it's okay, they call us names too.

So does that mean, even in a sitcom, ethnic racism is acceptable? While I realise this thread is about 'Till Death' I just want to say that I find any racism by any ethnic group offensive. It's as black and white as that.

Quote: Alan C @ June 21 2008, 4:22 PM BST

That is a question in itself?

Yeah, like I said, I dunno. :P

But yes, it has scarred.

Quote: Baumski @ June 21 2008, 4:30 PM BST

So does that mean, even in a sitcom, ethnic racism is acceptable?

Not at all. I found the Love Thy Neighbour offensive and the defence that it highlighted prejudice on both sides does not wash.

There appears to be some misconception regarding the 'one-dimensionality' of Alf Garnett.

Speight's cleverness was to personify in Garnett the sea change in British culture, politics and society which was happening in the 60s. It was the whole embodiment of brown ale switching to lager, Mr Churchill switching to "your darling 'Arold", and deference to authority switching to overt questioning.

The whole series was built around Alf's fish-out-of-water struggle with the new order.

Apologies to anyone else who has mentioned this already.

None of this means that any one aspect of the Garnett character was uniquely rooted in the 60s. Many of them indeed are ongoing human weaknesses. He was, at heart, a reactionary conservative. That particular syndrome is still going strong.

My purpose in raising the thread was to point out that whereas some of Alf's traits live on very strongly in today's society, our ability to highlight and lampoon them, it would seem, does not.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ June 21 2008, 8:56 PM BST

Speight's cleverness was to personify in Garnett the sea change in British culture, politics and society which was happening in the 60s. It was the whole embodiment of brown ale switching to lager,

I don't think there's any good reason for this whatsoever.

Brown Ale has a flavour. Lager is just bland for people with no imagination who just follow the crowd!!!

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ June 20 2008, 12:15 PM BST

Political correctness - has it left a permanent scarring on the sitcom landscape?

Would Alf be able to strut his semi-fascist, male chauvinist etc stuff in today's climate?

Disagreeing with Aaron for a change ;) I think the answers are no and yes in that order.

Opinions eh?

On which note...

FILM: Till Death Us Do Part
On: UKTV Gold
Date: Sunday 22nd June 2008
Time: 22:20 to 00:15

Film version of the popular TV series, which chronicles the history of the Garnett family - headed by irrepressible bigot Alf - from life in a London slum during wartime to the time when they move out to the suburbs.
(Made For TV, 1968, PG, 2 Star)

Director: Norman Cohen
Starring: Warren Mitchell, Dandy Nichols, Anthony Booth, Una Stubbs, Liam Redmond, Bill Maynard, Brian Blessed

Will all the naughty words be dubbed with flipping and nipper?

Nope they will f**king, buggering and bastarding

I watched Beverly Hills Cop today and it had some intriguing dubbings.

Quote: zooo @ June 22 2008, 10:14 PM BST

Will all the naughty words be dubbed with flipping and nipper?

'Tis possible. Unlikely, mind, but possible.

Quote: zooo @ June 22 2008, 10:17 PM BST

I watched Beverly Hills Cop today and it had some intriguing dubbings.

Aw, I almost watched that. What did they replace them with - "You naughty boy!" or something?