Should we bring back the death penalty? Page 6

Adios Wave

*presses button*
*sound of frying*

Cool

Quote: sootyj @ June 18 2008, 9:52 PM BST

Is it better to hang an innocent man, or let a guilty one go free.

I say hang people who have commited 3 serious crimes already. Even if they didn't, they'll probably do something bad anyway.

And people who commit more than 3 serial killer indicating crimes, shoul be isolated from society permanently. Maybe on the Isle of White.

No not the Isle of Wight, what have the inhabitants there done to deserve that.

Personallyy I think we should probably turn South Georgia into a prison island for convicted killers etc. We wouldn't even need any guards, its about 1000 miles of freezing cold water from anywhere. We just put new prisoners in a boat with oars about a mile offshore, and make the boat out of something edible, like marzipan. The existing prisoners would eat the boat thus making it impossible for them to use it to escape. Even if they tried marzipan would disolve in the water.

Periodically the UK authorities should drop bags of compost, bags of manure and seeds and leave them to it.

Whistling nnocently

Too many opportunities and chances that they'd escape!

Quote: Aaron @ June 18 2008, 10:24 PM BST

So they go after the soft, easy cases rather than those which are more serious, but consequently more complex and take longer to investigate and process. It's no coincidence that we read stories of people being arrested and/or fined for the tiniest, most ridiculous little thing imaginable whilst murders and rapes go unsolved,

Oohhh tell me about it!

Think I've related this before.

Once had a 15 year old to foster temporarily on bail remand. The charge, robbery. Robbery of what? - had been present when someone else robbed £3 worth of sweets and soft drinks from a girl in the park. Arrested and interviewed, he had confessed to the heinous crime of drinking some of the soft drink. Pathetic defence lawyer insisted he go for a lesser charge and plead guilty to 'accessory'. Why? This is where Aaron has a point - he had sent numerous letters to the investigating officers boasting that he had committed several more serious crimes (they could prove it but I can't say how) but they couldn't be arsed to investigate those. Threatening to reveal these to the Magistrate was their lever to get him the conviction and the start on the long road down the toilet. I couldn't understand why the defence thought that such unrelated 'evidence' could be admissible.

Yeah, maybe he was a bad boy but why couldn't they prosecute for things he might actually have done rather than the pathetic excuse of a crime they came up with.

Guess who was paying for all this! All of us!

n.b. in Texas they have a learning disabled guy in an institution accused of murder (almost certainly innocent). They're forcing special needs educators to work with him to raise his IQ over the level deemed to be of intellectual responsibility. So they can execute him, will try and find a link.

In countries with the death sentence, there have always been examples of executions being rushed through. The appearance of justice is seen as more important than justice it's self.

As such I switch sides and oppose the death penalty. That said, I believe in more innovative punishments, harsher jails, and shorter/more intense sentences.

Personally i think we should violate peoples values. Make Jewish/Muslim prisoners eat bacon, make every one else vegetarian, and no TV but libraries, literacy, and theatre groups.

n.b. Pierrepoint resigned as hang man over an argument about not getting paid, for some poor sod that was pardoned. He did the job as a profitable hobby.

The fact that hanging was carried out in this country, with the same motivations as mine about comedy, well nuff said.

Quote: billwill @ June 19 2008, 2:05 AM BST

No not the Isle of Wight, what have the inhabitants there done to deserve that.

Personally I think we should probably turn South Georgia into a prison island for convicted killers etc. We wouldn't even need any guards, its about 1000 miles of freezing cold water from anywhere. We just put new prisoners in a boat with oars about a mile offshore, and make the boat out of something edible, like marzipan. The existing prisoners would eat the boat thus making it impossible for them to use it to escape. Even if they tried marzipan would disolve in the water.

Periodically the UK authorities should drop bags of compost, bags of manure and seeds and leave them to it.

Whistling nnocently

Similar principle to Australia [apart from the marzipan].

And they always return to the scene of the crime.

The only thing that really upsets me crime wise is cruelty to animals. I could cheerfully kill people who mistreat cats and dogs.

Cats, mainly.

Quote: Aaron @ June 19 2008, 11:17 AM BST

Cats, mainly.

Racist. Dogs are all right. Although as a proud owner of four toms, cats are clearly superior. And owning them a sign of virility.

You knows it! :D

It is not my intention to hijack this thread, but come on......

Dogs are much better than cats, dog owners are better than cat owners. Nuff said.

Dogs are ultimately dumb animals with little or no imagination - like their owners. Your average cat is intelligent, charismatic and highly independant - like their owners. :P

Anymore talk like that and I'll set me too Staffs on ya! Oh I think I may have just proved your point. doh!

Quote: chipolata @ June 19 2008, 1:01 PM BST

Dogs are ultimately dumb animals with little or no imagination - like their owners. Your average cat is intelligent, charismatic and highly independant - like their owners. :P

Damn right!