On The Buses Page 3

It was still good though!

Thanks Zooo, Aaron is just jealous coz he's lost his desire for corny jokes

Quote: Alan C @ June 9 2008, 8:27 PM BST

Nope, he's dead now and his account on match.com has lapsed :)

You'd never get me saying something like that.

Laughing out loud

I can't speak for On The Buses but Hancock has many student aged fans on his facebook groups. His Character has a timeless quality. His reactions to situations would be the same today. On The Buses was much broader and the characters are caricatures of men and dolly birds in the 70's. Mind you the Carry ons are still loved I guess,

Carry Ons <3

I must say I love them. Though the earlier ones are better. Constable, Regardless and Cruising are all fantastic. Don't think I've ever managed to see Emmanuelle all the way through, and the less said about Columbus the better....

Nooo, I love the middle ones. Specifically Sid.

Columbus isn't nearly as bad as its reputation. Obviously not on par with the real highs of the series, but it gets a worse press than it deserves.

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2008, 12:25 AM BST

Columbus isn't nearly as bad as its reputation. Obviously not on par with the real highs of the series, but it gets a worse press than it deserves.

I've not seen it but it would have to be truly awful to compete with Carry On England.

Pretty much all the Carry Ons from about 63-73 are worth a look, though. And the best ones are very good indeed.

Quote: Badge @ June 10 2008, 12:30 AM BST

Carry On England.

Ugh.

:)

If I could just revisit (corporate speak! :) ) this thread for a moment . . .I'm currently watching OTB at one a night and I've just started Series 7 tonight.

Yes, certain things date, but the whole thing around relationships and dynamics within a family and at work doesn't.

Many situations in this sitcom are as valid today as they were then, albeit in a different context.

So myself (who for whatever reason didn't watch it first time round (women probably! :P ), I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it now.

My wife keeps watching them on ITV4 or something.

It really was lame and a classic example of ITV comedy.

I'm not a snob but BBC comedies in the 70s seemed to much more clever without being smartarse but ITV ones were just lowest common denominator stuff.

ITV was created for the plebs wasn't it?

The BBC was very stiff upper lip until ITV came along, as I recall it anyway.

I've not studied it. It just seemed that way to me as a viewer in those days. Thank God I eventually found the off button!

Quote: David Chapman @ August 2 2008, 1:36 AM BST

My wife keeps watching them on ITV4 or something.

It really was lame and a classic example of ITV comedy.

I'm not a snob but BBC comedies in the 70s seemed to much more clever without being smartarse but ITV ones were just lowest common denominator stuff.

I know what you're saying about ITV comedy Dave, but 'Buses' for me was a classic sitcom and one of Britain's best. Definetly ITV's best.