On The Buses Page 2

Quote: Mark @ June 7 2008, 8:52 AM BST

As Collings and Herrin said - how did Reg Varney get all those girls?

He didn't - that was the point.. Whistling nnocently

Agree though that 'On the buses' was of it's time - I was there at that time and I can tell you it was one of the funniest things on telly.. to our simple little minds wot we had then..

Quote: Perry Nium @ June 7 2008, 1:47 AM BST

Yep, comedy encyclopedia, that's me. That Collings and Herring podcast ain't bad either. Whistling nnocently

Ahhhhhhhhh!

I think the reason Dad's Army works is because it was already dated when it was written - ie it was about a certain time in history.

I never rated On the Busses - typical ITV comedy as far as I was concerned.

I liked it because I am vulgar.

I had lunch with the two Rons a few times - diamond geezers - epsecially that RW.

:)

The difference between the classes of Dad's Army and On the Buses. Both started off very well, both were absolutely brilliant when in their prime (Dad's Army series' 4-6, On the Buses series' 3-5). But Series 7-9 of Dad's Army are still brilliant and very funny, whereas series 6 and 7 of On the Buses saw the quality of the show deteriorate.

Quote: Marc P @ June 7 2008, 5:37 PM BST

I had lunch with the two Rons a few times - diamond geezers - epsecially that RW.

Now that's cool! How did you manage that?

I got asked, by the beeb, a few years ago, to do a re-formatting for 'The Rag Trade' - a new series, bringing it up to date - new characters but based on the old show, kind of. So I was asked to meet with them a few times. :)

Bloody hell! Now that's really interesting. What came of it? They just suddenly pull the plug?

Yes, like all of these thing it comes down to a big cheese somewhere sitting in a high office approving or dissaproving. The creative teams put stuff up and the execs decide. Yes we want old formats revisited for light entertainment - ballroom danceing etc - no we dont want them for Sitcom. Seemed to be the response.

Nice lunches though.

I remember reading they were planning to do it.

Perry is that international sales?

I dunno Jack, on the Buses is a laugh, and has some marvelous gags and really fab actors.

But Dad's Army is sublime, the acting, the writing, the way it all slots together.

It doesn't date in the way Chaucer doesn't date.

Chaucer doesn't date?

Quote: Perry Nium @ June 9 2008, 8:23 PM BST

Chaucer doesn't date?

Nope, he's dead now and his account on match.com has lapsed :)

Alan, Alan, Alan. *shakes head* Even I avoided that joke!