Nathan Barley Page 4

Quote: Alan C @ May 21 2008, 7:04 PM BST

Meeting your idol is not always a great experience is it? A former work colleague of mine "met" Harry Enfield on a trip to the seaside. Both of them were with small children and my colleague saw HE drop something he was trying to get out of the boot of his car. He shouted "Now I don't think you wanted to do that did you" and HE turned round and told him to f**k off. My colleague turned in embarrassment while his kids laughed at the funny man with the red face! His misery was compounded when HE related this story in an interview a few months later but at least he had the good grace to apologise to the "guy who looked a tit in front of his kids!" :D

Brilliant.

Quote: Leevil @ March 26 2008, 3:44 PM BST

I loved the Dan Ashcroft character though, surely there is a place for him somewhere else?

Maybe Nathan is now in his late 30's and still acting like the "idiot"? David Brent stylee.

Yeah, Dan was great in that. Sort of the idea of one sane man in the midst of maniacs. What I noticed was that he really reminded me of thom yorke from radiohead. In both look, demeanor, and attitude towards the world. He was really the only likeable character. His sister was good too but for even touching Nathan, she gets points off. Even if she did turn down his advanced when he started rapping about eating her out.

By far the least likeable character was that dickhead editor at sugar ape... I wanted to punch him in the face every time he made that stupid face.

Quote: Griff @ May 21 2008, 7:07 PM BST

Nathan Barley was a sublime work of genius. Nothing more need be said on the subject.

Agreed. The actor who played Nathan hasn't done anything anywhere near as good since.

Quote: catskillz @ May 21 2008, 11:30 PM BST

Agreed. The actor who played Nathan hasn't done anything anywhere near as good since.

Incorrect. He was in Mark Tavener's brilliantly and acutely observed and executed Absolute Power.

Quote: Aaron @ May 21 2008, 11:37 PM BST

Incorrect. He was in Mark Tavener's brilliantly and acutely observed and executed Absolute Power.

That was ace, triff & brill - more pleez :)

Quote: Aaron @ May 21 2008, 11:37 PM BST

Oh yeah. I used to listen to that on the radio, before it was on T.V.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ May 21 2008, 11:10 PM BST

By far the least likeable character was that dickhead editor at sugar ape... I wanted to punch him in the face every time he made that stupid face.

I loved him! He was absolute genius. And he hated the idiots too. It was just very subtle. I wasn't imagining it! (I have decided.)

He's on Coronation Street now.

Quote: Griff @ May 21 2008, 11:39 PM BST

Oh I'd completely forgotten he was in that. That was a terrific series, much underrated.

Quote: Alan C @ May 21 2008, 11:40 PM BST

That was ace, triff & brill - more pleez :)

It was f**king immense. I would LOVE more. :(

I actually got my hands on tickets for the final radio special - but then didn't get in. I punched walls and things.

Quote: zooo @ May 21 2008, 11:47 PM BST

I loved him! He was absolute genius. And he hated the idiots too. It was just very subtle. I wasn't imagining it! (I have decided.)

Jonatton Yeah? LOL

He was my favourite character after Dan Ashcroft.

I liked how Richard Ayoade's character, and his sidekick, went eveywhere together, and the way one of them would say sometheing, and the other one would repeat it, but with a rising inflection in his voice.

Ayoade was great too. Had astounding glasses. He wasn't in it enough.

Which I have just accelerated to the top of my 'to watch' list. That's tomorrow morning sorted.

Quote: zooo @ May 21 2008, 11:47 PM BST

Yet another 'comedy' actor losing respect from me...

Quote: Alan C @ May 21 2008, 7:04 PM BST

Meeting your idol is not always a great experience is it? A former work colleague of mine "met" Harry Enfield on a trip to the seaside. Both of them were with small children and my colleague saw HE drop something he was trying to get out of the boot of his car. He shouted "Now I don't think you wanted to do that did you" and HE turned round and told him to f**k off. My colleague turned in embarrassment while his kids laughed at the funny man with the red face! His misery was compounded when HE related this story in an interview a few months later but at least he had the good grace to apologise to the "guy who looked a tit in front of his kids!" :D

To be fair to Harry, he did say in this interview that he was caught at a *really* bad time, something about the dog running off on the sea-front and him and the kids had spent ages chasing/looking for it or something. He was quite gracious to remember and apologise on national television. If he was a proper twat, it wouldn't have niggled him enough to do it, even if he had remembered it!

Dan

Quote: Aaron @ May 21 2008, 11:59 PM BST

Which I have just accelerated to the top of my 'to watch' list. That's tomorrow morning sorted.

And I just finished episode three now. Excellent. Thanks for reminding me, Griff! :D