Big Train Page 3

I can't believe no-one's mentioned the cake factory sketch. One of the smartest pieces of comedy ever written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibxHpXqAfc

Can I bump this, mods?

People, you gotta see this sketch.

Indeed you may.

I was one of those who had expected more when it came out a first and remember being quite disappointed overall.

There were some gems though, one nobody's mentioned is the one where Simon Pegg is to be executed and he receives a letter from his sister recalling a song that they had often sung together as kids.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcq3VAKjTp0

Been watching the recent repeats and would agree that it is streets ahead of most modern stuff and if I might make so bold: not the same stuff repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again week after week (OK the staring but that was quite funny to begin with)

Someone already posted this!

Oh Yeah! So they did David. Ooops!:$

But I have said it several times on other threads. The modern sketch show seems like money for old rope compared to the likes of Big Train and Not the Nine O'clock news etc.

Nowadays it's 6 ideas stretched wafer thin over 6 weeks, nice work if you can get it.

Compare and contrast this if you will with BT and NTNOCN who maybe had to come up with 50-60 different ideas per series run.

You there! Boy at the back! Are you eating sweets! Bring them here immediately!

I’d completely missed the fact that the DVD has a writers commentary by Arthurs and Linehan. I watched/listened to the first 15 minutes of series 1 episode 1 last night and found it quite interesting. Some of the sketches were improvised, which I didn’t know. And Linehan, despite seeming happy, does seem as though he’d like to change quite a few things. I’m going to give it a proper listen tonight. It’s one of my favourite sketch shows, so I’m looking forward to the story behind it.

I also noticed that the ‘additional material by’ for series 2 has a much bigger role-call than series 1. Perhaps that’s why the second series didn’t seem as tight as the first one. I see that Mitchell and Webb contributed material to series 2 as well. I never knew that.

both series for 12.99 at play.com with free delivery.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 24 2007, 4:31 PM BST

I can't believe no-one's mentioned the cake factory sketch. One of the smartest pieces of comedy ever written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibxHpXqAfc

I love that sketch.

The wanking at work sketch is good too.

Anyone else remember The Ritz to The Titz sketch? And Simon Pegg's monkey impression at the end...the first time I saw it I was crying for about ten minutes. You can see the woman in the sketch laughing at the end too. It's on youtube somewhere.

Yeah those two sketches were good.

Simon has a knack of re-using gags in different shows and films though. You can see Nick Frost doing the monkey impression in Shaun Of The Dead.

Is it just me, or does Graham Linehan seem the more talented of the Father Ted duo? His projects (Black Books, IT Crowd) certainly seem to have taken off more than Mathews.

Quote: chipolata @ May 20 2008, 10:18 AM BST

Is it just me, or does Graham Linehan seem the more talented of the Father Ted duo? His projects (Black Books, IT Crowd) certainly seem to have taken off more than Mathews.

I think so; Hippies wasnt a patch on any of Linehans stuff, or the shows they did together; and the pilot about an Irish band Matthews had on recently was simply one of the worst things Ive ever seen; I cannot believe that one half of the team behind Father Ted wrote such crap! Matthews doesnt really seem to have done much since Big Train either.

And didn't Matthews do The Eeejits, which was cringingly bad.

Quote: chipolata @ May 20 2008, 10:55 AM BST

And didn't Matthews do The Eeejits, which was cringingly bad.

Yeah, that was the Irish band thing I was talking about. It was crap.

Matthews was in I Am Not An Animal as well, although I don't know as what.