How funny was The Comic Strip Presents?

Hard core new wave comedy, or poorly scripted, drunk students shouting at each other?

The Defence.

Bad News, More Bad News, 5 go mad in Dorset, The Red Nose of COurage, Strike, The Yob

The Prosecution

Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, WOrld War3

Actually typing this I think they were ace.

I loved 'The strike.'. :D

I definitely liked them when I watched them.

It's been a while, but I predict I'd still find them funny.

Aw c'mon, Mr Jolly Lives Next Door was fantastic.

For me, The Comic Strip was like punk rock. I was more into comedy than I ever was into music, and it was because of stuff like Bad News, A Fistful of Travellers Cheques and War!. Films made by people who weren't worried about who they were going to appeal to, crazy comedies where you never knew what might happen next. No catchphrases, no repeat sketches, just unbridled creativity. This meant there was the odd misfire, but I'd rather watch a glorious, unpredictable, distinctive failure than the latest demographically-driven, producer-led, cookie-cutter dud.

Case dismissed; both of the above.

Probably of no interest to anyone but me but I was 'on the door' when the team originally previewed this at the Scala in Kings Cross.

I do tell a story regarding Lenny Henry and I relating to the evening however it would I expect be too non-pc for here!

I did watch them because at the time it was considered cutting edge and the thing to watch.

I often remember being disappointed though that apart from being spoofs they weren't really that funny.

Quote: garyd @ May 16 2008, 7:32 PM BST

I do tell a story regarding Lenny Henry and I relating to the evening however it would I expect be too non-pc for here!

What the f**k is wrong with you? How can ANYTHING be too non-PC for us lot?! :O

Tell, bitch, TELL! :O

Quote: Aaron @ May 16 2008, 8:18 PM BST

What the f**k is wrong with you? How can ANYTHING be too non-PC for us lot?! :O

Tell, bitch, TELL! :O

Ah, but I didn't say it was funny, did I?

Mind you, that's not stopped me from posting anything else!

Still doesn't need to be funny to be posted here!

A quick browse in the Critique forum will prove that.

Ha!

Quote: Aaron @ May 16 2008, 8:45 PM BST

Still doesn't need to be funny to be posted here!

A quick browse in the Critique forum will prove that.

What is that supposed to mean?

My favourite episodes were 'Bad News Tour' and 'A Fistful of Traveller's Cheques' - The former was un-nervingly accurate and the latter was just mad!

Quote: David Chapman @ May 16 2008, 8:47 PM BST

What is that supposed to mean?

What do YOU think it's supposed to mean, David? :)

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ May 16 2008, 8:47 PM BST

My favourite episodes were 'Bad News Tour' and 'A Fistful of Traveller's Cheques' - The former was un-nervingly accurate and the latter was just mad!

A Fistful of Traveller's Cheques is brilliant, my fave episode I think.

And yeah Comic Strip Presents were great, the earlier ones anyway, some of the later ones were a bit hit and miss.