Scallywagga.... Page 6

Chilly mondo seems a very desperate way of getting a catchphrase "out there" by pretending its already cool - as opposed to the traditional way of just letting it become a catch phrase.

Prob a good example of how you cant create cool - it either is or isn't. This isnt - looks like it was made by a drama club of 10 year olds.

You just wonder when someone wrote the line "cor Miss....you said f**k" what part of that did they think was funny? just seems such a lazy arse way of writing.

Quote: Perry Nium @ May 12 2008, 6:01 PM BST

I didn't write that sketch but Chilly Mondo is basically a comment on how people so easily get sucked into pointless catchphrases. All the kids in the sketch are in the classroom shouting "Chilly Mondo!" at each other, and the teacher's begging them to realise their stupidity, shouting "You don't have to let it catch on!"

And just to prove the point, I was in town today and heard a young girl say it to her mate, although she said it wrong and went "A Chivvy Bongo!".

Mmm, but not exactly funny as a returning sketch; or as a one off, just annoying. I cant comment overall as I havent sat and watched a full episode, but wasnt impressed with the bits I did see.

I watched the second episode and I didn't laugh once. They keep repeating the same premise over and over again. It really is bad.

I watched the repeat of episode 3 last night.

The alcoholic dad one I liked. The bong/tequila ones I liked. The XP360 one was nice, but didn't have a great ending.

The one big plus is the comic acting of the actor who plays Asbo Pin. I like him a lot and as someone else said, I can see him having a good sitcom career.

The chilly mondo one confuses me too. It is the sort of thing that happened at school, but I don't find it funny. In the first episode, the premise wasn't explained very well either. The kids just started shouting "Chilly mondo".

Unfortunately the show is more miss than hit in my opinion. Again it's aimed at this young demograph that BBC3 seem intent on capturing.
Is it a demograph that are watching though? Are they not all sat on street corners drinking White Lightning instead of watching TV?

It may well have an audience share which are loyal though. I am neither a market researcher or 'down with the kids'.

Saying all that, well done to any BSG'ers who have got work in it. It's a step forwards and a nice addition to your CV.

Quote: Winterlight @ May 14 2008, 9:21 AM BST

Unfortunately the show is more miss than hit in my opinion. Again it's aimed at this young demograph that BBC3 seem intent on capturing.
Is it a demograph that are watching though? Are they not all sat on street corners drinking White Lightning instead of watching TV?

What angers me about this naked demograph chasing is that it's actually hugely insulting. It's like saying you're 18 or 19 therefore you're going to like puerile childish comedy with little or no intelligence.

That's true. When I was 18/19 my favourite sketch shows on telly were: Jam, Big Train and The Fast Show.

Thinking about it more...

If Shameless wasn't so fashionable, do you think a show like Scallywagga would have found it harder to be comissioned?

I think Scallywagga is definitely a product of it's time, and I'm sure that when these shows are commissioned they do look at other shows like Shameless. Which is part of the problem with commissioning. Instead of looking to produce a great comedy show, they constantly seem to be trying to tick different boxes and appeal to a certain strata of society. Frankly, it's depressing.

This does appear to have had a great deal of money and effort thrown at it - a huge number of elaborate locations compared to similar sketch shows. I'm thinking about how much it would cost to hire and get clearance to film in a school, plus child actors,for a short sketch about an 'inappropriate' poem. And the sketch with two girls talking about dogging that could have been filmed anywhere but they'd found some massive industrial laundry to film in, about half a days filming for that, perhaps? Rather than an hour in the BBC canteen? Seems like an enormous amount of effort for something a bit 'meh', couldn't the budget go on paying the writers better, shoving them a few more quid to punch up a mediocre script? The poem sketch could have been great but it appeared they spent five minutes writing it and weeks arranging the shoot(if someone here wrote it I do apologise, I just genuinely get the feeling the quality of the writing was the least important thing to the makers, and that can only have negative impact on how you write. I've been given similar 'that'll do' briefs in the past and it does affect what you put into a script, it doesn't make you a bad writer per se, just a badly motivated one)

Anyway, I feel a little bit like Tony Hayers in the Knowing Me Knowing Yule christmas special, comparing the budget of a show to the price of a kidney dialasis machine for a local hospital. It's no one's fault i suppose that these days you can't do sketches in a Fry and Laurie type way - a cafe table and a man dressed as a waiter on an empty stage being enough for an audience to know the sketch is set in a restaurant, and everything else being focussed on the funny.

I think all shows should be forced to stick their budgets in the credits, and exactly how much everything cost.

I'd forgotten about the poem sketch. That was quite a good one.

It's a shame that it's difficult to find out who writes what on a sketch show. It would be interesting to see.

After watching this I think I can say that TittyBangBang has a new rival in worst ever sketch show.

Watched an episode of this last night, some good ideas in it I think and some just copies of sketches from other shows. I didn't find it all that funny which I was disappointed about as I wanted to like it, I will give it a few more goes though before I write it off as it may have been a dud episode. Some of the acting was dreadful which really let it down and made it look amateurish. The pin guy number guesser was a highlight though and also the guy who's in Two Pints is good. I think it has potential. Anyone know how you go about submitting material?

I would suggest getting in contact with the producer of the show. Or speak to one of the people on here who have had material featured on it.

WHEN IS PERRY'S MATERIAL COMING ON???!!!!

Me and my writng partner Phil wrote the Facebook sketch and the 'exam' sketch (hand in any mobile phones...)from last nights episode. I thought they did a good job on both.

Well done. I missed last nights episode. I'll search it up on iplayer and look out for them.

I just flicked through iplayer and found your sketches. The exam one didn't do anything for me, but I did like the facebook one. Some nice writing.