Scallywagga.... Page 4

Got to agree with the last two comments. It's amateurish. Honestly! Why do they have to do the same sketch three or four times in 27 minutes? Will they do it over twenty times in the series?

I normally give new shows three episodes but it's so annoying I won't even bother with a second. Same BBC Manchester actors chipping in Rolling eyes

We're a million miles away from comedy with this sort of stuff.

Quote: jacob richardson @ May 3 2008, 12:44 AM BST

Why is it that everyone thinks they're a comedian

would you care to explain?

Quote: David H @ May 5 2008, 10:38 PM BST

Got to agree with the last two comments. It's amateurish. Honestly! Why do they have to do the same sketch three or four times in 27 minutes?

It's actually quite normal to do a "2 hit" or a "3 hit" sketch which is split up over the course of one episode. It's certainly not exclusive to Scallywagga, been done in tons of other shows.

Quote: jdubya @ May 6 2008, 12:52 AM BST

would you care to explain?

It's quite simple: he thinks that the show is shit.

Quote: Aaron @ May 6 2008, 7:59 AM BST

It's quite simple: he thinks that the show is shit.

that much I gathered.

And that the writers should go back to their day jobs. Or Tesco.

right

Getting ahead as a comedy writer often has more to do with your ability to pitch and hustle than you're actual ability to be funny.

Quote: Aaron @ May 6 2008, 10:15 AM BST

And that the writers should go back to their day jobs. Or Tesco.

There's nothing like constructive criticism.

And that was... (etc)

Viewers have no reason, nor obligation, to provide constructive criticism. I doubt that Jacob appreciated that some of the writers are posters here.

wow - just watched this. staggeringly bad.

Didn't like it, but then like Gardener's Question Time, it wasn't written for me.

Quote: Perry Nium @ May 6 2008, 2:05 AM BST

It's actually quite normal to do a "2 hit" or a "3 hit" sketch which is split up over the course of one episode. It's certainly not exclusive to Scallywagga, been done in tons of other shows.

Yep, I know this, Perry. I just don't think it works.

I think if it was a continuation ie: Sketch 1 - people go to train station, Sketch 2 - people on train, Sketch 3 - people getting off train, it would have the feel of one sketch. But less is more. And I actually think it's a great idea to drop characters for a couple of the six episodes to emphasize that point further. It's bad news when people get sick to death of sketch characters as they shouldn't be on screen long enough for that to happen.

Which one did you write Perry?

Quote: sootyj @ May 7 2008, 1:06 AM BST

Didn't like it, but then like Gardener's Question Time, it wasn't written for me.

true...but at 34 i can still remember being 10 years younger and i'm pretty sure i wouldn't laugh then either!

the repeating sketch idea is fine but they use the SAME dialogue in each and almost the same gag...the "i'm a genius guy" was a good example - each sketch was innocent question by mum, rant by son and "punchline" which you could guess long before it arrived. and girl that paints face with pens.....are they for real?

also the acting was dire, not that getting an OSCAR winner in there would save it.

Just felt like it was written by kids who weren't very good and people in suits mistook it for being young and trendy.