What are you reading right now? Page 6

Quote: zooo @ May 4 2008, 12:45 AM BST

Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon.

It's my favourite film, so I thought I should read the book it's based on.

I've read three quarters of that but had to stop, it is a nice story ( and a good film ) but I kept coming across mistakes in his grammer which just annoyed me.

And yes, I know, I am a sad pedantic :(

P.S. I know my English is very poor as well but I was doing an English refresher course at the time of reading so these things were in the front of my mind. I'm not always a git.

Quote: jacparov @ May 4 2008, 11:21 AM BST

I've read three quarters of that but had to stop, it is a nice story ( and a good film ) but I kept coming across mistakes in his grammer which just annoyed me.

And yes, I know, I am a sad pedantic :(

P.S. I know my English is very poor as well but I was doing an English refresher course at the time of reading so these things were in the front of my mind. I'm not always a git.

grammar* ;)

I'm reading... Polly and the Wolf :$
(Please don't ask :( )

Maybe now's a good time to give it another go!

Quote: Griff @ May 4 2008, 11:33 AM BST

Just started the third volume of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. (Put that crappy movie out of your mind, people.) It's mind-blowing. I probably only understand about one per cent of what is going on. But terrific fun anyway. I've just got to the bit where Mr.Moore decides to narrate the backstory in the form of a lost Shakespeare play, ie all iambic pentameter and Elizabethan vocabulary.

That sounds pretty cool.

Quote: Griff @ May 4 2008, 12:20 PM BST

pedant* :)

i know, i only do these things to keep aaron busy. heed be tying to take over the world otherwise. *Capitals Aaron! Capitals!* ;)

Capitals, damnit! >_<

Are you the proof-reader of the century according to Pedants' Weekly, Aaron? :P

Ooh, it's like Singlesgate in the Apprentice.

I hesitated and changed my spelling about five times before giving up on the basis that it belonged to the pedants.

Haha! I wouldn't have had the guts to do that! Did you get kicked out, or some laughs?

Did you pick yourself up by the scruff of your neck and kick yourself out then?

Quote: Griff @ May 4 2008, 1:05 PM BST

I was once in a meeting at work where I decided to annoy the project manager who was being a dick. So I started correcting him on various inaccuracies in his argument (genuine technical errors, not grammatical nitpicking) at which point he accused me of "pedanticness". I counted to five and responded with

"... I think you mean pedantry".

LOL.

And yes, "Pedants' Weekly" is indeed correct. Says the editor.

Quote: Griff @ May 4 2008, 1:10 PM BST

No. Everybody else hated him too, so I got a reasonable laugh from the room and then he hastily changed the subject.

I hope you looked proud and chewed a pencil hehe!

Well surely Pedants' Weekly is also run by pedants? Otherwise they wouldn't be pedantic enough to make anything of it!

Hehe! They would all have to be different colours or numbers though!