Steptoe And Son

Come now, show your love for this absolute classic. I discovered it through UKTV Gold a few years back, and it really must be up there in the top 10 greatest sitcoms ever written.

It is just so beautifully crafted, and of course has one of the greatest "catchphrases" uttered on British television - "Yhhouu dhurrty old ma-hn!" So clever, and so brilliantly played by Corbett and Bramble.

(Slightly off-topic here, but has anyone seen the recent stage reincarnation? Very witty, and just as brilliant and funny and the original TV shows I thought.)

I love Steptoe. My Dad introduced me to it as a child. One of my favourite memories of him are his "You dirty old man!" impressions of Harold. My favourite episode is the one with the escaped prisoner - genius!

I'd like to see the stage show - it's good to have your recommendation Aaron.

Ah yes, Leonard Rossiter, was it not? :)

Yes! :D

Is it sad that I knew that? :/

I liked some episodes when I first saw it but I must admit I have gone off it.

Taking into account the number of episodes made, in my opinion this is the top UK sitcom ever. One question for the administrator: in "Divided we Stand", where the house is split down the middle, my friend and I are convinced that any repeat showings of this are censored, in that a scene with firemen entering the house(s) has been removed completely. Any memories of this?

On a different matter, is there are place on this site that counts up requests for seeing series issued on DVD? It would be good to form a pressure group in much the same way as tvshowsondvd.com does for US Region 1 releases. My vote in the wilderness would be for "Misleading Cases", a true masterpiece (though with Alastair Sim in, that description is inevitable).

Peter, I'm far, FAR too young to have seen any of the shows on original broadcast, but am pretty sure I've seen that scene.

In regards to DVDs, we're working on something very much along those lines, so stay tuned. Do feel free to e-mail me (aaron{@}sitcom.co.uk) with lists of show(s) you'd like to see.

"Taking into account the number of episodes made, in my opinion this is the top UK sitcom ever."

It's certainly one of the best UK sitcoms, but the best? It's a hard one to call once you get to that level. Personally, I would opt for Only Fools & Horses, with Steptoe a close second.

In my humble opinion Steptoe (along with Hancock) created the blue print of what we now consider to be great British sitcom.

No argument here. Galton & Simpson are the true fathers of modern comedy.

Its only in the last few years I have seen it and think it is wonderful. Okay, the setting is an unfamiliar sight now - when did anyone last see a rag and bone man? - but the writing is so good, the performances top drawer, and the father/son dynamic ultimately doesn't date. The relationship between the two is really powerful and can relate to any era.

Somebody mentioned the escaped prisoner episode, which I believe had Leonard Rossiter in it. Doesn't really get much better than that.

Quote: Jay72 @ October 22, 2006, 2:49 PM

Somebody mentioned the escaped prisoner episode, which I believe had Leonard Rossiter in it. Doesn't really get much better than that.

Indeed it did - in fact that was half the topic of our discussion!

I really do need to save up and buy series 2 onwards on DVD. Damn my lack of money! :(

Haven't seen Steptoe And Son for years and years as its never repeated.Must get a DVD od this as from what I remember it makes for great comedy.I got both the films but I don't think they do the TV series justice.Would people agree with that?

Which Series are available on DVD?

Quote: Craig @ November 6, 2006, 7:50 PM

I got both the films but I don't think they do the TV series justice.Would people agree with that?

Steady on, Craig, that's two things we agree on. Like most sitcom films, they didn't do justice to the series. Probably the only ones that did were Porridge and The Likely Lads.