Greatest American Sitcom Character?

I don't think we've done this, but I'm wondering what peoples nominations would be for the greatest USA sitcom character? I'm tempted to go for Homer Simpson, but I'll plump for Frasier Crane. Mainly because it seems really weird that America would embrace such an effete intellectual. And Kelsey Grammars performance was masteful.

Or his alter ego, George Costanza in Seinfeld.

I'd add Niles - and with Frasier, at times, greater than the sum of their parts.

Hawkeye from MASH must get a mention, not least because Alan Alda is a great comic actor.

Hank Kingsley from The Larry Sanders Show. An amazing tragi-comic character, brilliantly brought to life by Jeffrey Tambor.

George W. Bush.

(Before someone else says it.)

And don't forget George Bush Senior, who was in a great episode of The Simpsons when he moved in next door and got into a feued with Homer.

Quote: Aaron @ May 1 2008, 3:44 PM BST

George W. Bush.

(Before someone else says it.)

CONTROVERSIAL. But agree, he's an absolute joke.

Back on topic: Gob from Arrested Development. Surely the neediest character ever in sitcom history, and brilliantly played.

A bit of an oldie from me, I'm going for Norm from Cheers.

Not only a great character but a role model for life!

Niles and Fraiser are my vote. G.E.N.I.U.S.

Quote: Sofa_Matt @ May 1 2008, 4:29 PM BST

A bit of an oldie from me, I'm going for Norm from Cheers.

Not only a great character but a role model for life!

He was great, but I was also partial to Cliff.

Michael Scott and Chandler Bing.

Chandler Bing in the early days only mind.

"Sometimes I wish I was a lesbian... Did I say that outloud?"

Quote: chipolata @ May 1 2008, 4:27 PM BST

Gob from Arrested Development.

Ah, he'd be in my top 3, definitely.

"They're pills that create a sort of temporary forgettingness. So if somebody finds out how you do a trick, you just give 'em one of these, and they forget the whole thing. It's a mainstay of the magician's toolkit, like how clowns always have a rag soaked in ether."

Come on!