Only When I Laugh

Opinions on the medical sitcom. I think it is really good. My favourite charactor in it is Doctor Gordon Thorpe, played by Richard Wilson, long before One Foot in the Grave. Eric Chappel's first post Rising Damp sitcom.

I remember liking this when it was on, but I havent seen it since. And I was about six or something at the time. Good theme tune.

I'm H-A-P-P-Y

Probably difficult to repeat this one because of the comedy Indian sidekick of Dr Thorpe, Gupta as I recall, who was played by a blacked-up white man.

Great cast, though. James Bolam, Christopher Strauli, Peter Bowles AND Richard Wilson.

It was repeated throughout the whole of last year on ITV3.

Series one is available on DVD, and series two will be release in a few weeks.

Anyway, yeah, not one of my favourite shows personally, but pretty good. Although the theme tune is thoroughly depressing.

Series One

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/26/55/-/3439520/Only-When-I-Laugh-Series-1/Product.html]

Series Two

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5259778/Only-When-I-Laugh-Series-2/Product.html]

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 25 2008, 10:22 PM BST

Probably difficult to repeat this one because of the comedy Indian sidekick of Dr Thorpe, Gupta as I recall, who was played by a blacked-up white man.

Great cast, though. James Bolam, Christopher Strauli, Peter Bowles AND Richard Wilson.

Not so, it was repeated on ITV3 just a few months back

Quote: Britcom Barry @ April 25 2008, 10:27 PM BST

Not so, it was repeated on ITV3 just a few months back

I think I said difficult, not impossible.

Nah, fair enough. You've got me bang to rights, copper.

I'm W-R-O-N-G. Yes, I'm W-R-O-N-G. Yes, I know I am. I'm sure I am. I'm W-R-O-N-G.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 25 2008, 10:22 PM BST

You're W-R-O-N-G again Graham. Gupte was played by Derrick Branche who is Indian and wasn't blacked up.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2008, 10:18 PM BST

I remember liking this when it was on, but I havent seen it since. And I was about six or something at the time. Good theme tune.

I was in a similar situation to Matthew. TIL LAST YEAR THAT IS!

I caught it on ITV 4 and it was ok. I suppose.

James Bolam plays pretty much the same character he did in The Likely Lads.

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 26 2008, 11:32 AM BST

You're W-R-O-N-G again Graham. Gupte was played by Derrick Branche who is Indian and wasn't blacked up.

Was he not also in Jewel in the crown and My beautifuul launderette?

Don't know. Was in the episode of 'Father Ted' 'The Passion of St. Tibulus' he played the Cuban priest at the beginning.

Peter Bowles is definitely a Chinaman, though, isn't he?

A good show. Figgis definitely had Terry Collier-type traits though. Think Eric Chappell must have watched a few Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? episodes before writing the show.

Edited by Aaron.

And he was completely phased out in series 4. Just finished watching the complete series, and he isn't even mentioned. Think it must have been an early PC person high up at Yorkshire TV. Shame, as Gupte was a great character.

I heard that- downright outrageous. He was a great character in it and was by no means a character used for racial humour. His incompetence may have been seen as racist, yet the white Doctor, Gordon Thorpe (played by the sublime Richard Wilson) was more incompetent than Gupte was.
I can't confirm it, but if he was cut out of the final series on race grounds then that is awful and if anything is offensive to the actor who played Gupte.