Hale and Pace

A couple of us were discussing Hale and Pace in 'Writers Discussion' the other day, so I decided to have a look on youtube for their sketches. It had been ages since I'd seen any and I was pleasantly surprised to find they're still funny.

I liked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJZ8NEEw5Jo&NR=1

Any other recommendations?

They're repeating some of the shows on Men & Motors (Sky 184) at the moment actually. I've never seen them before (too young), but quite enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Broadcasts at 10pm on Wednesdays, and repeated at 11pm on Saturdays.

Of course, this may have been covered in the WD discussion on them, but in case not, and/or for those of us who haven't seen it.

Oh, and bloody good sketch that!

Yeah nice, I remember them and it was nice to see them in the Extras Christmas special.

Yeah, indeed it was. :)

Currently watching series one (which I remembered I 'acquired' long, long ago). Really very good. Miles better than what we've been served up of late. Channels would do themselves a service to repeat these 'classic' comedies, alongside respective DVD releases, rather than pump out the crap we get now. The likes of Kenny Everett and Hale & Pace are long overdue for mainstream-channel repeats and DVD issues, IMO.

As an aside, does anyone have the sitcom The Management?

Those Clorets adverts were their best work.

Will have to catch those on Men & Motors - I used to love Hale & Pace. Their 'Northern Calypso' song still makes me chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqvXRd64Mo

They are indeed a brilliant double act, and it's a shame they aren't around much on Tv now. I have Series 1-4, and I have to say it's top quality stuff, which has gotten better with age. Back in the past I think they stirred up a lot of controversy with some sketches that people would fine offensive, but seeing as that's basically the norm nowadays you can look past that and appreciate the humour more.

Anyway, I've enjoyed all I've seen of them, and i think they are an extremely underrated comedy duo.

And I've just seen a sketch which my limited knowledge of The Fast Show tells me was the "inspiration" (cough cough) for "suits you sir" etc.

Quote: Mick Green @ April 21 2008, 11:51 PM BST

Will have to catch those on Men & Motors - I used to love Hale & Pace. Their 'Northern Calypso' song still makes me chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DqvXRd64Mo

I actually just watched the episode with that one in! Very funny. :D

There's also a sketch on there which was quite obviously the "inspiration" for the Roy & Doreen sketches (with John Thompson & Caroline Aherne) in The Fast Show.

The skit with them as 2 fat blokes in a pub was quite good as was the 'chucky-chucky' northern calypso song.
In the early days they were on top form and underrated in my own humble opinion.
Does anyone remember when they had their own sitcom based on 'The Management' characters?

Quote: deian @ April 22 2008, 9:31 AM BST

Does anyone remember when they had their own sitcom based on 'The Management' characters?

Quote: Aaron @ April 21 2008, 11:34 PM BST

As an aside, does anyone have the sitcom The Management?

I have the first three episodes, but haven't managed the rest.

Da-doo Ron, Ron Ron. Da doo, Ron Ron.

I remember Hale and Pace and Harry Enfield were two of those shows that everyone would talk about in school the next day. More waterfountain than watercooler talk.

I remember the microwaved cat bit went down particularly well.

I couldn't help but laugh a bit at that. Even though it was pure evil.

Hale and Pace made the cardinal error of moving from the alternative circuit to the mainstream which meant they were cast into the outer darkness by the trendies who dictated who was cool and who was not. So, despite decent audience figures, they were dumped.

Crivens, I'm turning into Alan Partridge.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 22 2008, 3:35 PM BST

Hale and Pace made the cardinal error of moving from the alternative circuit to the mainstream which meant they were cast into the outer darkness by the trendies who dictated who was cool and who was not. So, despite decent audience figures, they were dumped.

They did 8 series of Hale and Pace, so I don't think you can say it was their move from alternative to mainstream which led to their downfall.