Doctor Who Page 32

Ha.

I never said Tate was bad its just when she goes into her character voices off her sketch show it really annoys me. I think Matthew is right though its the scripts. I saw on one confidential the director goes 'lets see what Tate comes up with'

The hour and a half season premier of Dr.Who was on Fri. night here with Clive Swift, Goeffry Palmer and Kylie Minogue about the HMSS Titanic. I'm having a hard time forming an opinion.
Also on before that was some kiddie show called The Sarah Jane Adventures. I liked her when she the Doctors companion but this was crap.

Quote: oroboross @ April 20 2008, 7:32 PM BST

The hour and a half season premier of Dr.Who was on Fri. night here with Clive Swift, Goeffry Palmer and Kylie Minogue about the HMSS Titanic. I'm having a hard time forming an opinion.
Also on before that was some kiddie show called The Sarah Jane Adventures. I liked her when she the Doctors companion but this was crap.

Ah, I like Sarah Jane, but you do have to remember it is aimed at eleven year olds. That Titanic one isnt our season opener, its the christmas special; as such I think it's done in broader strokes to appeal to a mass Christmas day TV audience.

Yeah, as Matthew says, that's the 2007 Christmas special, not the series proper, so is slightly different stylistically from those in a normal series run. I got a mixture of different feelings from it, so I think I know what you're getting at, oroboross, in not being able to decide about it!

Quote: Aaron @ April 20 2008, 7:56 PM BST

Yeah, as Matthew says, that's the 2007 Christmas special, not the series proper, so is slightly different stylistically from those in a normal series run. I got a mixture of different feelings from it, so I think I know what you're getting at, oroboross, in not being able to decide about it!

I enjoyed it, being a big Who fan I can enjoy any old Who crap, but I do wish theyd just do a good, dramatic story for the Christmas episode again. The last two have been Ok, but not a patch on the first one; Tennants debut.

The worst thing about the Titanic one was the piss poor baddie, the head in the box, I cant tell you what a let down it was when that trundled out. The fight with the robots as they tried to cross the chasm thingy was cool though; and Kylie was Ok, but she really wasnt anything other than stunt casting. The producers say they would never do that, but why else have Kylie in? Shes not exactly done a lot of acting in the last twenty years, and has hardly been lauded for her acting chops.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2008, 11:34 AM BST

Tates been good in it, if people hate her then theyre going to carry on hating her; I dont really know how people can slate her performances so far because theyve been pretty good; especially in the more serious, emotional moments. As I say, some people are always just going to hate her, and the moment she does anything light hearted, or says a funny line, youll get people going 'oh, Tate ruins it with her comedy voices'; Tennant hardly underplays the comic moments now does he? As far as Im concerned, shes only playing the script which has been presented to her; which, at times, calls on her to use her skills as a comic performer. That being the case, if you really dont like it, then its really a fault with the script and not the actor. Shes certainly a better actress, and more believabnle in the heavy sutff, than Martha.

Good post Martin, well said. Exactly my thoughts, I feel sorry for her to be honest. She's doing a great job but people have their preconceptions and are sitting there waiting for a funny line so's they can say 'see, she's just doing her characters'. As you so rightly said, the people who didn't like her before are unlikely to start doing so now or after. Big shame.

Quote: ian_w @ April 20 2008, 8:38 PM BST

Good post Martin,

Youre the second person to call me Martin today, i may change my name. :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2008, 9:00 PM BST

Youre the second person to call me Martin today, i may change my name. :D

Laughing out loud

I know I saw it I was just taking t' widdle. No need for a name change just yet :D

I'm just starting on episode three, and I can't see any of TCT Show's characters coming through. It strikes me that the Tate-haters' preconceptions of her and her show led them to decide long ago that they wouldn't like her, or the character. For my money, Donna is a little annoying at times, but no more so than anyone in that position would be (remember that, although we have seen it with each new companion, the character has to learn, every time, about the basics of the situation, and has to be all bitchy and pushy and whathaveyou). Anyway. Pompeii episode good, but a little too light on the actual alien/supernatural type stuff IMO. I mean, there was only about 5-10 proper minutes of it in the end. The rest seemed to be all human emotional blah blah. Not really what the show's about, surely?

Would have been nice to have a Frankie reference too, but heyho.

If nothing else, at least she's not Freema wosserface.

Quote: Aaron @ April 20 2008, 9:36 PM BST

If nothing else, at least she's not Freema wosserface.

Just what is your problem with her? I mean really, what did she do?
Anyway, you must be looking forward to next week's?

He looks like that kid in the Beano magazine. What was his name?

Quote: Griff @ April 20 2008, 9:41 PM BST

The Sontarans look really rubbish for next week. Totally silly and not at all scary.

Thats what I thought when I say pictures of the Cybermen, but then they worked really well on screen. I like to judge after seeing an episode, theres no point in having a downer on something before youve seen it.

Quote: ian_w @ April 20 2008, 9:37 PM BST

Just what is your problem with her?

Everything.