The Wire

Right this is what Charlie Brooker had to say about this show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2iGYwdEi8

So on his recommendation when I saw it in the 'Whats New' section of Virgin On Demand I gave it a go. It is so unbelievably good I don't posess the adequate vocabulary to describe how good it is. I used to like The Sopranos till I saw this and it made me realise how poor a show The Sopranos is. Its that good. It is simply the greatest TV show I have ever seen.

'Its just f**king brilliant' - Charlie Brooker

Have you seen Oz?

I felt like a member of the family had died when the final episode aired on HBO. An amazing show.

Series 4 is just about to be repeated on FX for the next 12 weeks. It will then be followed by the all new series 5.
You feel me?

Quote: catskillz @ April 20 2008, 2:42 AM BST

Have you seen Oz?

Yes and I would say it is similar but in my opinion inferior. Not saying Oz is bad its just the Wire is so good.

Quote: catskillz @ April 20 2008, 2:42 AM BST

Have you seen Oz?

With the skills of a cat - he strikes again! Oz is f**king brilliant.

I tried to watch The Wire after Charlie's endorsement of it, but I just couldn't get into it. It just bored me and kept zoning out...

If any of you have heard good things about The Wire and, like me, you've never seen it before, the first episode is on BBC Two tonight at 11:20pm. Unusually, it's then on every night at the same time for the rest of the week.

Apparently, it's very, very, very good, so I shall be watching.

Dan

It's alright.

Wait, my mistake, it's actually the best thing that's ever been made.

It is very good. I think the opening of the first episode is quite funny, if I remember correctly.

I'm expecting it to be better than The Shield, which at the moment is 'the best thing that's ever been made', as far as I've seen.

Dan

The hyberbole surrounding The Wire is quite possibly justified, but a total handicap, I would have thought, to anybody who hasn't seen it. Those expectation levels can't possibly be met. All I'll say is 'be patient!'

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 30 2009, 1:47 PM BST

The hyberbole surrounding The Wire is quite possibly justified, but a total handicap, I would have thought, to anybody who hasn't seen it. Those expectation levels can't possibly be met. All I'll say is 'be patient!'

Definitely. It doesn't grab you by the short and curlies the way The Shield or The Sopranos does. You begin to feel its grip over the long haul.

Agree with John - I watched the Wire off the back of The Shield and for maybe three episodes I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Then I grew a f**king pair.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 30 2009, 1:47 PM BST

All I'll say is 'be patient!'

Absolutely.

For any first timers looking to get into it, 'be patient' is good advice. This is a series that builds slowly - by the third or fourth episode you'll be well into it and totally hooked.

Whereas in many cop shows (if The Wire can be called a cop show) one case lasts one episode, The Wire stretches its one case to last 12ish episodes, so the detail in it is incredible.

The language might be a little hard to cope with at first (both slang and 'colourfulness'), but do bear with it. Keep eyes and ears open - it's such a rewarding watch.

Nah it's good but the follow up by the same team "Generation Kill" is the dogs dnaglers.

A show that was as a brilliant as it was incomprehensible.

Red Riding was over rated.