Early Doors

I had a look and it seems that there is no thread dedicated to Early Doors (there's one somewhere about a possible 3rd series but that's all I could find. If I'm wrong then I apologise)

I'm just watching both series on DVD at present and have to say what a cracking show this is is.

In common with The Royles they manage to make a brilliant show out of almost f**k all happening. Just nice subtle plots - all beautifully performed by the cast. Not a dud character in the entire piece. Old Tommy is fan bloody tastic!

Great pace and superb writing. Stands up to the rewatching test as each time I pick up more stuff I'd missed on previous viewings.

Treemendoes.

All true .

Great stuff. Pubs are a great scene for sitcom. The best scenes in Only Fools and Horses took place in the Nags Head. Favourite episode- the pub quiz episode. I love the pub banter:
MELANIES BOYFRIEND: Do you want a drink Ken?
KEN: Thankyou young man, I'll have a pint of the best Bitter in Northern England
OLD TOMMY: Not stopping in here then Ken
Another scene they are talking about erections:
KEN: Last time old Tommy had one was on Silver Jubilee day when beer was half price in here
OLD TOMMY: Yes, but it soon went down when I tasted it.

Great stuff. And as for the two Policemen- they crack me up all the time.

Old Tommy is hilarious, I agree :)

There were talks of a third series featuring Peter Kay, but I believe it's now been shelved.

JOAN: Do you like circuses, Ken?

Without doubt one of the finest British sitcoms ever. Criminally underwatched too.

'Have you lived in your house all your life Tommy?'

'Not yet'

I wonder what it would have been like if, as originally intended, Caroline Aherne played the landlady? Not as good, I suspect, because I really liked the fat bastard who played the landlord. Although he is quite annoying in those Post Office adverts.

Saying it is one of the best sitcoms ever is a bit of an exaggeration, but still great fun.

It was fantastic, I really enjoy watching it on DVD. Great characters and very original.

Funny thing with Early Doors, I really struggled with the very first episode, as you still expected Mr Cash to act as he does in The Royle Family. However, one I got into the flow from week to week, I absolutely LOVED IT!!! ... especially that copper with the silly laugh.

"Crime won't crack itself!" ... or whatever they say.

"(Sniff) Sugar Puffs?"

I read last week about a man who has changed is name to Honeymonster. Must have been fun processing THAT credit card application.

Quote: chipolata @ April 7 2008, 1:49 PM BST

I wonder what it would have been like if, as originally intended, Caroline Aherne played the landlady? Not as good, I suspect, because I really liked the fat bastard who played the landlord. Although he is quite annoying in those Post Office adverts.

Ken is one of the greatest, most-rounded characters ever to appear in a sitcom. The idea that he wouldn't have been in Early Doors if Caroline Aherne hadn't gone haywire is astonishing.

Originally, Craig Cash was writing the show with Caroline Aherne, with the idea that she'd star. Then she dropped out on account of being mad or suicidal, and Craig got another co-writer, which eventually led to the show we saw. And I agree about the bloke who played the landlord being a fine actor. He was pretty good as John Prescott as well.