BBC Comedy College Page 25

I see your logic, but I think it's just coincidence. There's been other radio shows looking for uncommisioned stuff in the recent past, like Play and Record. I don't think a radio show would be launched purely so that writers with no track record would then be eligiable to enter for the College of Comedy.

If that low, unless you're a big name already you would have to be stunning. I mean your first line, first paragraph, first page, maybe first word even would have to utterly grip the reader.

No I don't mean it's deliberate. I think as a writer in my position, it's just a happy coincidence, if the buggers would just accept my stuff.

Quote: Marc P @ April 6 2008, 12:18 PM BST

That makes sense Msr Sooty. Wonder how many applications they will have to read, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes four figures.

They get four figures in the Writers Room, so I don't think it'll be that high. No more than 1000, and most of those will be chancing their arm.

I don't think there'll be more than 100 people or so eligible for this.

The word on the street is that about one in seven of those who have applied so far are deemed eligible.

I'd love it if one wild card got through.

You know generally, original only ever stuck crap on youtube.

Quote: Bomber @ April 6 2008, 1:37 PM BST

The word on the street is that about one in seven of those who have applied so far are deemed eligible.

Not on my street!

:)

Is it more like 1 in 700?

Or t'other way.

Aldeem wrote....

###My concern would be that even if I got anywhere near a mentor is would probably be Susan Nickson rather than Iannucci, and to be frank, I just don;t get Two Pints as I am not in the age range, and I am not sure that Ms Nickson has/can write for an audience that isn't into binge drinking, writing in text speak and happy slapping, though I may be wrong.####

I'm coming up for 67 and think Two Pints is hilarious, so one shouldn't put the sitcom in a 16 -20 bracket.
I think Susan Nickson is a brilliant writer.
:D :D

whoever the mentors are, we will be able to learn from them. it would be interesting to be paired with someone who writes things that you consider to be a different style from the things you like. i don't watch Two Pints but i'd love to find out how it is structured, plotted etc.

This site is good for information. http://www.robinkelly.btinternet.co.uk/sitcom1.htm

Does the beeb keep track of past people who've been involved in comedy schemes and competitions, to determine which were the most effective methods of encouraging and developing new talent? And which were a bit shit and should be quietly forgotten?

Yes.

Tell us the shit ones. My guess is that one where people had to finish other peoples scripts. Expensive and ultimately a bit pointless.

is the process for selecting the initial 12 writers based solely on the content of the 10 pages of submitted work? also, who is involved in the whittling process - i was wondering if the proposed mentors are involved, or is it high level BBC producers?

The decision will use a time honoured and much tested BBC formula.
The names of the applicants will be spread, in a grid pattern, across a meadow. Masie, the BBC cow, will be released into the meadow and whom ever she shits on will be passed forward to the short list.

The names of the shortlisted applicants will be placed in a cage full of masturbating chimpanzees and the process will begin again... the first six names to be spunked on will be declared the winners...

kjs