Little Britain's racist, isn't it? Page 3

Quote: Tim Faithfull @ March 27, 2008, 11:49 PM

Yes, I couldn't agree more - in all other respects the two shows are incomparable. My reason for juxtaposition was that both examples derived humour from extremely contentious issues, but the subject of their ridicule was commonly misunderstood.

Yes Tim, I know. I was only using your line as an excuse for bringing up my own pathetic diatribe about comedy queen Catherine.

Freema and Billie, together? Now you're talking.

Quote: Badge @ March 28, 2008, 12:06 AM

Yes Tim, I know. I was only using your line as an excuse for bringing up my own pathetic diatribe about comedy queen Catherine.

I agree she is crap. She can't compare with the Goddess who is Karen Taylor.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 28, 2008, 12:07 AM

I agree she is crap. She can't compare with the Goddess who is Karen Taylor.

I'd much rather have Karen Taylor in Dr Who. And vice versa, before anyone else says it.

Quote: Badge @ March 28, 2008, 12:10 AM

I'd much rather have Karen Taylor in Dr Who. And vice versa, before anyone else says it.

No - most definitely not!

He can have zooo. Like we're sharing Gethin and Camilla.

(sounds like a good deal!)

I'd rather they had no flipping assistant than just any random woman with television experience that comes wandering past.
Jeebus.

Wee Jimmy Krankee as an assistant?

Jezooos*

I still don't know who Gethin is, other than he looks a bit like Zooo does on her avatar.

Blue Peter presenter. She fell in love with him when he took part in Strictly Come Dancing last year.

Aaah! Is he the Welsh fella? I'm more of the Noakes-Purves-Singleton era myself, and I could never bring myself to fantasise about any of them

Yes he is, and I don't blame you!

Back to point, I did initially think Little Britain was parodying the racism/attitudes here but by the third series I was thinking that they're doing it *so* much that it could possibly have *become* racist! I'm pretty sure they're not, but they certainly seemed to become a one-joke set-up by then.

Getting rid of the hypnotist really did them in... :)

I don't find Tate funny, so don't watch and can't comment.

Dan

I think the racist accusations are misguided when it comes to Little Britain, they are mocking attitudes. However, there is open bigotry in the Yeah But No character. Chavs have become the new blacks. The underclass it's acceptable to mock and ridicule and say anything about. That said, they are a cancer destroying society so they deserve everything they get.

Quote: chipolata @ March 28, 2008, 10:06 AM

I think the racist accusations are misguided when it comes to Little Britain, they are mocking attitudes. However, there is open bigotry in the Yeah But No character. Chavs have become the new blacks. The underclass it's acceptable to mock and ridicule and say anything about. That said, they are a cancer destroying society so they deserve everything they get.

That's quite interesting cos they are completely unaware that they *are* chavs, (and, if anything, probably mock chavs as well in order to appear 'in'). Also, aren't chavs the kind of underclass that sit around on their arses so it's a mocking of an attitude really, rather than skin colour/sexuality/etc.

Even though your last point is a joke, there is a point that blacks/gays/etc have never been a 'cancer destroying society' whereas chavs are.

</underesearched social comment>

Dan

Quote: chipolata @ March 28, 2008, 10:06 AM

Laughing out loud

Quote: swerytd @ March 28, 2008, 10:13 AM

underesearched but entirely correct social comment