Little Britain's racist, isn't it? Page 2

Quote: Tim Faithfull @ March 27, 2008, 11:12 PM

I think sometimes the question is who we're laughing at - if racism is the butt of the joke then it can be seen as acceptable.

I agree entirely. The Brass Eye Paedogeddon special was great, and I don't think the racist vomiting woman sketches in Little Britain are racist. But I think Little Britain as a show is racist, for the Ting-Tong sketches alone. And Catherine Tate's sketch where her character claims to be a translator and then runs through the gamut of "comedy" foreign stereotypes is one of the most odious things ever shown on British TV in my opinion.

Intent not content.

In Little Britain, it's absolutely clear it's the racism thats being mocked.

As for American Dad, it's so funny I can't tell if its offensive or not.

If it's being ironic it's so hamfisted it's hard to tell.

Quote: sootyj @ March 27, 2008, 11:18 PM

Intent not content.

Could not agree more.

Quote: Badge @ March 27, 2008, 11:18 PM

But I think Little Britain as a show is racist, for the Ting-Tong sketches alone.

Howso?

Quote: Badge @ March 27, 2008, 11:18 PM

I agree entirely. The Brass Eye Paedogeddon special was great, and I don't think the racist vomiting woman sketches in Little Britain are racist. But I think Little Britain as a show is racist, for the Ting-Tong sketches alone. And Catherine Tate's sketch where her character claims to be a translator and then runs through the gamut of "comedy" foreign stereotypes is one of the most odious things ever shown on British TV in my opinion.

Ting Tong is not racist. It's having a go at middle-aged saddoes who think they can buy love by exploiting women in the far east - and then getting their arses bitten.

And you mention Catherine Tate but there is a vast difference between the two shows. Little Britain is funny.

Quote: Aaron @ March 27, 2008, 11:22 PM

Howso?

Doh! I knew it!

I'm not getting dragged in any further on a racism thing. I've blown my beans on it enough times. I think it's racist, you don't, and we ain't going to agree on it.

Quote: Badge @ March 27, 2008, 11:24 PM

Doh! I knew it!

I'm not getting dragged in any further on a racism thing. I've blown my beans on it enough times. I think it's racist, you don't, and we ain't going to agree on it.

Yes you are. It is parodying Britishness.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 27, 2008, 11:23 PM

And you mention Catherine Tate but there is a vast difference between the two shows. Little Britain is funny.

Well, Tim mentioned Brass Eye in the same sentence as Little Britain and there's a world of difference there too.

I think I just can't resist an opportunity to have a go at Tate ever since the news we would have to endure her for AN ENTIRE SERIES of Dr Who while the delightful Freema is relegated to guest appearances.

And is she bovvered? I expect not.

Quote: Badge @ March 27, 2008, 11:24 PM

Doh! I knew it!

No, it was a serious question. I don't have any particular opinion on it either way! We probably have discussed it before... But my memory is shocking.

Quote: Badge @ March 27, 2008, 11:29 PM

I think I just can't resist an opportunity to have a go at Tate ever since the news we would have to endure her for AN ENTIRE SERIES of Dr Who while the delightful Freema is relegated to guest appearances.

Good Lord. Almost the binary opposite! I'm fairly non-plussed on Tate, but Freema alone made the last series unwatchable for me. A vile character, played IMO by a poor actress. Can't wait to see her falling into a burning void or something.

Quote: Badge @ March 27, 2008, 11:29 PM

Well, Tim mentioned Brass Eye in the same sentence as Little Britain and there's a world of difference there too.

Yes, I couldn't agree more - in all other respects the two shows are incomparable. My reason for juxtaposition was that both examples derived humour from extremely contentious issues, but the subject of their ridicule was commonly misunderstood.

Quote: Aaron @ March 27, 2008, 11:34 PM

Good Lord. Almost the binary opposite! I'm fairly non-plussed on Tate, but Freema alone made the last series unwatchable for me. A vile character, played IMO by a poor actress. Can't wait to see her falling into a burning void or something.

Makes you want Billie back.

Quote: zooo @ March 27, 2008, 11:50 PM

I do think Freema is a lot more attractive than Billie Piper though.

Quote: zooo @ March 27, 2008, 11:50 PM

I never wanted her to go! I thought she was great.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 27, 2008, 11:52 PM

I do think Freema is a lot more attractive than Billie Piper though.

Ew.

I think Billie can be beautiful, but can also be bizarrely weird looking.

But then most people can.

You make a good point!