Nathan Barley Page 2

Apparently Chris Morris did a talk at Bournemouth Uni, and said it would be back. I thought his next project was some show/film about suicide bombers. I heard he was even seen making notes, at the trial of some Muslim extremists, back in 2006.

By the way, one thing that would have to be different, if another Barley series was made, would be the characters' wardrobes. Now, they'd all have to be wearing cardigans, scarves, and, of course, skinny jeans. Keep it futile!

Has anyone ever seen Chris Morris being interviewed? He appears a mystery to me and I think I like it that way. He has great presence in The IT Crowd and his random casting in it just adds further to his enigma.

Quote: catskillz @ March 26, 2008, 3:36 PM

By the way, one thing that would have to be different, if another Barley series was made, would be the characters' wardrobes. Now, they'd all have to be wearing cardigans, scarves, and, of course, skinny jeans. Keep it futile!

I work with people (one in particular) who dress JUST like that. Uncanny, and somewhat scary.

Quote: Curt @ March 26, 2008, 2:16 PM

According to this website the show sucked.

Our review is supposed to reflect the 'general public consensus'. Admittedly sometimes we fail to do that (all reviews are being re-written for the new site) but I think it this case the review does stand up. Whilst the 'comedy hardcore' loved Barley, the general public hated it. So much so that - like is said in the review - if it wasn't for the names attached to it, I think it would have almost certainly suffered the rare fate of being axed mid-series.

To try and offer a balanced view we have also published an article pro the series.

I have to say, considering the mauling it got from the press and ratings I don't see who would re-commission it. But, then again, I notice attitudes towards it have softened.

Personally I would quite like to see it back because I think Chris Morris, Charlie Brooker and Nicholas Burns are great!

I think the only problem with Nathan Barley is that it wouldn't have chimed with a lot of people outside London. Or those who aren't media-savvy. The 'Hosegate' area portrayed in Barley wouldn't have necessarily been easily recognisable for those not familiar with a certain part of London. I realise this could sound patronising and I'm sure most of the people on this site are in enough on the media-centric world to get it. Also, there was some very predictable negative responses from people inside the media world that N.B. was satirising and parodying.

I heard that Channel 4 changed their minds about a second series, after the DVD did so well, sales-wise.

Quote: catskillz @ March 26, 2008, 7:54 PM

I heard that Channel 4 changed their minds about a second series, after the DVD did so well, sales-wise.

Until someone tipped them off about the warehouse Chris Morris had just begun renting.

Quote: Mark @ March 26, 2008, 7:45 PM

Whilst some of the 'comedy hardcore' loved Barley...

When it was on, I dont think I saw a positive word about it, but it does seem to have seeped somewhat into peoples brains; Im always reading comments about Barley, or comparing something to something youd see in Barley, in magazines and newspapers. I loved it, but it certainly wasnt going to be the kind of thing that millions would tune in to. And I dont get the whole 'youd only get it if you come from where its set' attitude, i just found it funny and silly. I think its highly unlikely that youll see a second series, it did get pretty awful viewing figures and a few years have passed since it was broadcast, but you never know.

I'll have to watch it again I think. Even if I have to force myself at gunpoint.

Every single person I know who hated it, revisited it later and admitted it was great.

But will I?

We will just have to wait and see.

*Waits for Aaron to still hate it just to spite me*

Laughing out loud

I'll dig it out right now so I don't forget.

Oh. It appears that I thought it was so bad I didn't even record or 'acquire' it.

Quote: Leevil @ March 26, 2008, 3:39 PM

Has anyone ever seen Chris Morris being interviewed? He appears a mystery to me and I think I like it that way. He has great presence in The IT Crowd and his random casting in it just adds further to his enigma.

I was lucky enough to catch his unannounced guest appearance at last year's Cheltenham Literature Festival - along with Iannucci, Quantick and Mitchell, and he just seemed like a normally, funny, clever bloke. Not odd or anything, just witty and intellgent.

Apparently he's very nice.

I remember when everyone came on stage (it was advertised as Iannucci and Brooker) my jaw just dropped.

Iannucci is a big, big hero of mine. I thought his sketch show was brilliant, back in 2001.