Peter Cook on Room 101

I didn't know that he appeared on this, but it turns out he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0d_DncYbfM

That's the only one I've watched so far, but there seem to be quite a few clips. He drops some real gems too.

I still don't think I'll ever see anything funnier than his appearance on the Clive Anderson show. Absolute comedy gold - a performer at his absolute peak.

The Clive Anderson interviews are just great, all four characters are superbly done and shows that when people say he lost it in later years they were talking a load of old rubbish; for further proof check out the 'WHY BOTHER' radio series he did with Chris Morris. Cook never lost it, he just more or less stopped working. Id really like a DVD collection of all the various bits and pieces Cook did put out, stuff like the Anderson interviews, the 'COOK AND CO.' one off he did; the Saturday Night Live bits, etc.

I really like Why Bother. It's very funny stuff.

I've mentioned it before on here, but if you like Why Bother, you should check out the Gerard Hoffnung spoof interviews from the 50's. I think they were conduscted with 'someone' Richardson.

They're an obvious influence on Why Bother and perhaps funnier.

He went on Fantasy Football League too I remember.

And HIGNFY. Series 5 episode 1 or something.

He was all set for a revival in the 90s - that and his excellent in character appearance on Clive Anderson's chat show.

(see Steve Coogan as Partridge as another great one)

Quote: Aaron @ March 25, 2008, 5:28 PM

And HIGNFY. Series 5 episode 1 or something.

You nerd!!!!!!!!!!

Or something...............

Geek, actually.

Quote: Aaron @ March 25, 2008, 5:38 PM

Geek, actually.

That's it! At least you know the correct term!!!

Well, I can outgeek you on this one. He actually appeared in two episodes of HIGNFY, first in Series 4 Episode 9 with Douglas Adams, and as in Series 5 Episode 1 alongside Jonathan Ross.

He also had a funny performance on Saturday Live as a guest host in the 80's, and appeared on Whose Line Is It Anyway alongside Stephen Fry in the first series in 1988 (although he was visibly suffering from the effects of drink on that paticulair show).

I've watched some of the Clive Anderson shows, but didn't find myself in hysterics. I seem to be the only one though.

A compilation DVD of these treats would be nice, but I fear some sort of copyright hell would ensue.

Quote: Ben @ March 26 2008, 12:03 AM BST

I've watched some of the Clive Anderson shows, but didn't find myself in hysterics. I seem to be the only one though.

A compilation DVD of these treats would be nice, but I fear some sort of copyright hell would ensue.

I know what you mean, Ben. Cookie coudn't be anything less than very very watchable, but he HAS done better than the Anderson stuff. Anyone see the Rhys Ifans portrayal of PC (in 'Not Only But Always')? Absolutely spellbinding acting, and the whole film was fantastic. Made me laugh when Ifans said the 'key' to his performance was Cookie's thousand yard stare....and Ifans said he picked up on it by watching Dot Cotton do it on EastEnders!

I love that film. It's very good.

Quote: Peter Brouhaha @ May 21 2011, 4:04 PM BST

but he HAS done better than the Anderson stuff.

Well of course he has; I don't think anyone was saying his appearance on Clive Anderson was the peak work of his career!