British Comedy Quiz Page 11

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd August 2022, 3:41 PM

If there's one thing I've learned from Derek Nimmo, it's that secrets smuggled across international borders are often recipes for soup.

But if there are two things I've learned from Derek Nimmo, the other is that one doesn't get to become a bishop without being a vicar first.

You are so right, of course - I just had it in my head, the interview I remember seeing somewhere, where Dennis was so proud that his father was a bishop.
Sorry, and I withdraw my nit picking......

Didn't quite make it to 20, but coincidentally, just put in my 19th regular quiz, as I've had an email from Only Connect at last to say they are ready for Series 19 pitches, so I'll be spending some time on that - nothing as easy as the BCG Quiz though!!

Just did the Edinburgh Fringe quiz - particularly tricky this week, I think I only knew three of them for definite, but overall got 5/10 and 1/5.

Many pure guesses or trawled from the attic of my brain, so 6/10 and 4/5 for the bonus ones, which I'm pissed off about as it would have been 5 out of 5 if I had gone with my heart and not my mind. Grrrrr

Four I definitely knew, especially No.2 as it was one, I recently submitted in one of my quizzes. Grrrr again.

That was hard! And again, I now don't feel guilty about some of my hard entries ........Oooo, missus

Well, my guessing is coming along treat!
6/10:4/5 (spooky)
Genuinely only sure of one answer, with a vague idea of two others.
Might get a pin out and stick a couple of quid on a horse.

4/10 and 2/5 for me, unsurprisingly most of my correct answers related to the 20th century - damn you middle age :D

But great to have a themed quiz on the EdFest. Now I need to get back to my quiz crafting as the Commonwealth Games are over.

The only one of the first 10 questions that I definitely knew was # 4. I had an inkling about # 2 and that inkling turned out to be correct. And that's it I'm afraid. I don't count guesses.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th August 2022, 10:01 PM

I don't count guesses.

Ewww, swipe me.............., you fat owl. I should tweak your ear jolly hard.

There are educated guesses, which certainly count.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th August 2022, 9:14 AM

Ewww, swipe me.............., you fat owl. I should tweak your ear jolly hard.

There are educated guesses, which certainly count.

Yarooh! Oh yes, I quite agree re educated guesses. Much like my inkling. My comment was not aimed at anybody. Just clarifying, with regard to my scores, that if I have no idea whatsoever (as in eight of this week's offerings) and I just tick an option at random (a 4/1 chance), which happens by chance to be correct, I do not count it in my total as it doesn't enable me, like the Rolling Stones of old, to get any satisfaction.

Was forgetting about you being a betting man and knowing the odds.

I think an educated guess is akin to knowing the answer, but not consciously as the brain searches the deeper recesses of the mind, and says "Yes! A match", even though you weren't aware of it - just summat you read/saw many years ago, and the brain filed it under "Possibly useful"

Now my brain hurts.

Good set of questions this week Hercules, 7/10 and 2/5 for me, which I was pleased with given a few of those were guesses - and still trying to figure out if I've seen one of the more recent sitcoms mentioned or not - the casting sounds familiar but I couldn't tell you anything more! I need to pay attention more closely.

Also I've touched on this before but I love seeing questions in these quizzes about a long-forgotten show - without giving away spoilers for anyone who hasn't tackled this week's quiz there's a mention of a show I've only seen in a Frank Muir Christmas clip show/retrospective from 1983. I got that question wrong but I don't mind.

Quote: Niki Walton @ 17th August 2022, 10:44 AM

Good set of questions this week Hercules, 7/10 and 2/5 for me, which I was pleased with given a few of those were guesses - and still trying to figure out if I've seen one of the more recent sitcoms mentioned or not - the casting sounds familiar but I couldn't tell you anything more! I need to pay attention more closely.

Also I've touched on this before but I love seeing questions in these quizzes about a long-forgotten show - without giving away spoilers for anyone who hasn't tackled this week's quiz there's a mention of a show I've only seen in a Frank Muir Christmas clip show/retrospective from 1983. I got that question wrong but I don't mind.

Thank you, and I do try and mix them as much as possible (old and new & easy and hard) as I know them, having been into British comedy since the steam radio days, and then on to television in the B&W period, and so on.

The one you are clearly referring to is a favourite of mine, which I have the DVD of, and is very funny imo. No, having read your post again, I see you are referring to the other one. ?

6/4.
Again!

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who can tell me which ones they did or didn't get ?

Just the numbers, of course. ?

Fourteen out of fifteen for me. Need to rewatch Blott On The Landscape.