Avoidance Page 2

Seems the newspaper reviews of this show are at odds
Telegraph 2/5
Guardian 4/5

I'm intrigued as to why people think the the mere presence of a lesbian couple is tokenism. There's a heterosexual couple in almost every programme ever made. Surely the fact that a lesbian couple is written into a show without it being a huge plot point should be applauded?

Quote: Firkin @ 13th June 2022, 1:42 AM

Telegraph 2/5
Guardian 4/5

Not very generous odds. I'd find something at a better price and back it each way.

The Torygraph have obviously taken a point off for each lesbian.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 13th June 2022, 6:48 AM

I'm intrigued as to why people think the the mere presence of a lesbian couple is tokenism. There's a heterosexual couple in almost every programme ever made.

I would think that's at least part of the reason. It's still novel, if not token.
My concern with it in a sitcom (if it is) is unless they have strong parts to play in the stories and it's a natural part of the dynamic then it will indeed be seen as pure tokenism.
In writing sitcoms, every character has to have a solid purpose for being there, and a strong identity, even if they're a nervous ninny who gets trampled on, that is their role, they're not thrown in for the box tickers.

And I don't mean to be mean but isn't he (anyone) taking a risk on choosing that title? For a debut sitcom especially.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 13th June 2022, 9:50 AM

I would think that's at least part of the reason. It's still novel, if not token.
My concern with it in a sitcom (if it is) is unless they have strong parts to play in the stories and it's a natural part of the dynamic then it will indeed be seen as pure tokenism.
In writing sitcoms, every character has to have a solid purpose for being there, and a strong identity, even if they're a nervous ninny who gets trampled on, that is their role, they're not thrown in for the box tickers.

Like I said, I feel (and this is my view so I'm not claiming objective fact haha) they are part of a typical ensemble you get in plenty of sitcoms, and to pull an imperfect example but using it as I watched a bunch of episodes recently, they're like say, Emmett and Elizabeth from Keeping up appearances. Those two fit a similar pair. People who live together, one who likes (or loves) the protagonist, one who hates them. Emmett doesn't have a go at Hyacinth like the sister in law in this though so, erm, bear with me here.

Courtney in particular is there for the conflict. He has absconded from the family home, so it's not his wife there to do it now. That character to needle at the protagonist, though Jonathan is pretty unlikeable so far, so I feel like she's necessary. And it'd be boring if he'd just go to his kind and caring sister. So you can either make the sister have a go, or do what other shows to and make a couple (or siblings).

It also means he's surrounded by women - no husband/man to instinctively take his side.
I think it's quite smart, actually - a different slant on a trope we may have become over-familiar with.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th June 2022, 2:51 PM

It also means he's surrounded by women - no husband/man to instinctively take his side.
I think it's quite smart, actually - a different slant on a trope we may have become over-familiar with.

OK well I hadn't considered it along those lines.

HOW SEXIST!!!!

Quote: Firkin @ 13th June 2022, 1:42 AM

Telegraph 2/5
Guardian 4/5

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th June 2022, 8:15 AM

Not very generous odds. I'd find something at a better price and back it each way.

Now, that was funny! ? (Unlike episode one of f**ken 'Avoidance')

If I knew the Grauniad loved it so much I'd never have watched it.

It's got Romesh in it....literally the worst "comedian" being currently over exposed on telly

Not a bad actor, though.

I've not seen it and never will

But I can guarantee with 100% certainty that it's bollocks.

Spoiler alert.
I watched some of tonight's ep and saw an obvious flaw with the plotline. Him visiting his ex to try and sort things out, and then his son's friend and his dad to sort things out doesn't equate to avoiding facing problems but actually confronting them, however ineffectual and limp his efforts were. So maybe Wet or Limp would be a more apt title.

And all the humour seems to be of the awkward situation variety, which is hardly the most laugh inducing brand. Like a lot of these modern dramedies in the old sitcom slot, it was well made but comedically dull and soapy. Or in this case sappy.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 12th June 2022, 8:42 PM

The only question we should be asking is whether the show is funny or not
And are the Lesbians hot or are they in dungarees?
:-)

No on all three.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th June 2022, 4:00 PM

Not a bad actor, though.

Really...IMHO he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag...but do carry on