I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,410

Lorry drivers average pay has risen from 28.6k last year to 34k now according the Road Hauliers Association, because of the reduction in cheap drivers from Eastern and Southern Europe no longer allowed to work freely in the UK. = one clear benefit of Brexit.

It's predicted that other trades will follow even after greedy, unscrupulous and cynical big employers such as P&O and British Gas have avoided this happening to them by jamming a big spanner in the natural economic cycle, not wanting us to have a decent 'high wage economy' many Brits enjoyed before Labour opened the floodgates to lower paid EU workers.

The long stint of EU membership unfortunately turned a lot of businesses into greedy cutthroat employers exploiting cheap labour with low overheads over now high priced home grown labour in comparison. Unfortunately too many of them still don't want to let that gravy train go and are stunting economic growth which would now be on the up in times without wars or pandemics. Or petty cartels determined to make our progress without them fail.

I have been reading about a dirty trick played by an Everton fan on Liverpool fans.
He advertised luxury coach trips to the final in Paris tonight.
He took all the money and left hundreds of fans waiting for coaches that never turned up.
Anyone you know padalack?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th May 2022, 4:29 PM

I have been reading about a dirty trick played by an Everton fan on Liverpool fans.
He advertised luxury coach trips to the final in Paris tonight.
He took all the money and left hundreds of fans waiting for coaches that never turned up.
Anyone you know padalack?

Are you on about the fake story which came out on the back of the genuine Coach Innovations story?

Boris Johnson is set to announce the return of imperial measurements after the UK's break with the European Union.

The Prime Minister could reportedly announce a consultation into how to further incorporate imperial measurements in Britain on Friday to coincide with the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

Downing Street hopes the move could shore up support in Leave-voting areas after Conservative polling took a hit amid revelations about lockdown-busting parties at No 10, the Mirror reported

HAHAAHAHA!

He is LITERALLY insane

Why is this insane? We still have many of our old imperial measurements of course, if you use roads you would have noticed we drive in miles, not their kms. If you go into a pub you'll get a pint of beer not 568ml.

Some British manufactories still use inches and fractions, civil engineering and utility surveying tends to be all metric now, that will take an awful lot of remarking and retraining probably to convert that back to imperial at great cost, although building surveyors still use square feet, as do some landscapers so it still exists and is used by a lot more people than you think.

It's gimmicky bollocks that no sensible government should waste a second of time on when there are far more pressing issues facing this country.

We're not abandoning metric.
if greengrocers want to display their prices in lbs and ounces, they will be allowed to.
(They always were, as long as the metric size was prominent. Just like there was nothing to stop us having crowns on our pint glasses.)
It's a massive Brexit win and will make some old people happy.
Those that can afford to buy fresh vegetables.
People under 40 will have to learn a new system of weights and measures not taught in schools for decades.
Only they won't, because after the initial Brexity thrill, no-one will bother and it will be seen as the vacuous bit of flag-shagging it is.
I wouldn't worry about it.
As long as Rees-Mogg doesn't decide to bring back the groat we'll be fine.

It's actually a token of great significance in the long fight to free ourselves from the petty orders of Brussels, for those who see theirselves as British over European that is. Imperial's still with us in many areas and long may it be. Also most under 40s have apps on their phones, they could easily convert the weights and measures, but I believe it is just a token idea for people like the odd shopkeeper who want to use it. Many thousands of businesses simply couldn't change because of costs.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 29th May 2022, 3:48 PM

It's actually a token of great significance in the long fight to free ourselves from the petty orders of Brussels, for those who see theirselves as British over European that is. Imperial's still with us in many areas and long may it be. Also most under 40s have apps on their phones, they could easily convert the weights and measures, but I believe it is just a token idea for people like the odd shopkeeper who want to use it. Many thousands of businesses simply couldn't change because of costs.

Very odd shopkeeper.

We'd need actual shops to have shopkeepers.

In other news, as of the 1st July, Britain will be reverting to black & white.

Flag shaggers lol. You really are a product of the loony left.
What does it even mean?
Being patriotic is not a fault or character flaw.
You'll never get your way with this attitude, you are outnumbered by sensible people.
Btw it's half time, I'm drinking a Heineken at £8 a pop. I'm never coming down to the smoke ever again.

It means someone who wraps themselves metaphorically in the flag our our nation to score points.
A sort of virtue-signalling for a specific 'type' of person.
It's completely different from being patriotic, though said 'shaggers' would have you think it is.
Patriotic is wanting the best for your country, I would have thought, rather than blindly following whoever waving the biggest flags as they lead you off a cliff.

It's not patriotism, it's lunacy!

I repeat,sensible people will always outnumber you no matter how much you shout and insult. Thank god.
I do understand it's all you've got and it must hurt but it's the way it is.
You'll never accept it but crucially, a minority never get their way in a democratic society.
Empty vessels make the most noise.