Do you GROW? Page 53

I grow chillies . I heard an expert talking on them a few years back and I followed his advice and my chilies are amazing .I pluck them two minutes before I cook them and the taste is beyond belief'
The trick is to look after the plant like you would any other till the flowers drop and the chilli peaks out. Once that happens you stop watering the plant and shake it and tear leaves off. This makes the plant think that there are drought conditions and that it is being foraged by an animal that has traveled and may return to poo on sand or unfavorable ground for its seed to spread . So it gives the peppers double strength to keep away strange animals that don't normally eat it .

Interesting.
They do seem to go on fruiting and ripening well after looking their best.
I had shit germination this year - lost a load to damping off - so I'm all behind. Might have to buy a plant or two.
Had a massive crop last year - so there's still bag-fulls in the freezer (they freeze brilliantly by the way.)

Someone once gave me 3 marijuana seeds. I germinated them on damp kitchen roll in the airing cupboard.

I then planted one in the greenhouse and the other two in the veg patch.
I imagine that all these cannabis farms that use special lighting and ventilation must be to force a faster growth because the three plants I had, grew big and fast on their own.
I don't smoke the stuff, it was just an experiment.
I know why they call it the stinky weed, on a hot day the smell wafted all around.
I pulled them up before someone reported me to the police.
They ended up floating down the river.

With a lot of happy fish

It's taken a while - but it looks like we might get a meal or two out of these this year.

A fellow near me grows them but his are purple. (artichokes that is)

I have just planted a new herb garden in a huge terracotta pot.

I tried to grow a garden for a few years, but it was a losing battle against deer, rabbits, opossums, birds, squirrels, bugs, and the Texas heat and drought. Sage is about the only edible thing that survives the onslaught. I have a new neighbor from Tajikistan and he planted fruit trees in his front yard. Deer ate and killed them the first night.

Quote: DaButt @ 23rd May 2022, 1:15 PM

I tried to grow a garden for a few years, but it was a losing battle against deer, rabbits, opossums, birds, squirrels, bugs, and the Texas heat and drought. Sage is about the only edible thing that survives the onslaught. I have a new neighbor from Tajikistan and he planted fruit trees in his front yard. Deer ate and killed them the first night.

DB - you have several guns.
Surely....

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 23rd May 2022, 12:36 PM

A fellow near me grows them but his are purple. (artichokes that is)

I have just planted a new herb garden in a huge terracotta pot.

The purple ones are Italian, I think.
Meant to be a bit special - best beaten very young, I'm told.
I think a herb garden us about the best thing you can plant - can't beat fresh herbs.
If I had just a balcony or something it's all I'd grow.

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd May 2022, 2:39 PM

Surely....

The game wardens would fine me thousands of dollars and they'd confiscate my rifle. :(

Quote: DaButt @ 23rd May 2022, 1:15 PM

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd May 2022, 2:39 PM

Surely....

A bit harsh on his new neighbour from Tajikistan! Tell me I'm wrong!

Quote: a plate @ 23rd May 2022, 8:53 PM

A bit harsh on his new neighbour from Tajikistan! Tell me I'm wrong!

:)

My other neighbor has been flying a Ukrainian flag and he knows that the Tajik guy is married to a Russian, so the other day he asked if she was offended by it. I don't want to start another discussion about guns, but her solution for ending the war involved one bullet...

When I read about people shooting each other, I wondered if I was on the correct thread. Confused. com

Anyway, the wild flower seeds I sowed last year, and had forgotten about are now in "full" bloom - not that they are big and showy or anything, but have some lovely small yellow flowers (3 sorts), a two tone pink one, and various tiny white flowers, and now (as the packet said Mixed Wild Flowers) I have no idea what they are and had not seen the like before.

Am very pleased now with my front garden border, and look forward to the "cultivated" seeds I sowed this year (Aquilegia, Campanula, Delphinium, Hollyhock, Lupin and Rudbeckia), which should all make for a wonderful display next year. ?

I broke a small branch from a Brugmansia today and put it in water, hoping to plant in a pot later. Big weirdly scented bell-like flowers, extremely hallucinogenic.

I did the same with Buganvilla and Morning Glory yesterday.

Is this Malaga or Brighton?
I'm guessing the former.

Rooting powder Beaky. Dip them in rooting powder and they'll take.