Derry Girls - Series 3 Page 4

I too thought there was a little too much going on in one ep. I also think there's been some squeezing in of some very now issues and trends into a then period in this series. Didn't like the sad ending, especially when I've been cursing her character for just screeching all the time. Oddly enough, I thought last week's parents only episode was the best of this series as it seemed to fit the author's own backstory more, and the pacing wasn't rushed and hectic like last night's. They are also a good set of actors. It does look to me like the show's gone as far as it could have done.

I agree that the mammies episode was the best one - I think they could have a spin off series all of their own!

Getting excited for the final later!

That was about as perfect a finale as I have ever seen. The music blended in so well, everybody gets a moment to shine and the story is wrapped up without feeling artificial. The payoff with Uncle Colm was fantastic, I laughed all the way through. Also, Orla is one of my favourite characters in anything, no matter what she does, it's funny.

Yeah, a brilliant finale. If anything, it makes a point that the half-hour (including ads) runtime for the rest of the show's episodes probably didn't do it justice!... it felt too short even going for double that tonight. I suppose that's good, though; end leaving the viewers wanting more. Nice to have some unexpected appearances from characters that previously only cameoed too.

And you wonder how many hoops they had to jump through in order to get that ending to happen!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th May 2022, 10:10 PM

everybody gets a moment to shine

Did Clare?

A very good finale. I found the death in the previous episode a bit of a wrong note (although very well acted) but they pulled it back in the special. Very funny, and it made you appreciate the Northern Ireland Peace Agreement (which is something a lot of people are happy to put at risk now).

Quote: Aaron @ 18th May 2022, 11:33 PM

Did Clare?

That's a fair point actually, though I imagine it was a Bridgerton scheduling issue. I think the three way phone scene was great, her timing of 'Jesus Christ!' was perfect.

I think this was Orla's episode though. Wonderful opening scene and pretty much every line after that was gold. The fact she wanted a monkey party was random yet felt so right.

Yes, a worthy send off at least of the quality of the first two series. If I was being very picky from a sitcom blueprint point of view, the writer created too many characters for a sub 25 minute sitcom, and this extended final ep gave some of the pushed out characters in this series more deserved limelight, primarily Sister Michael and Jenny, two great characters who provided much of the conflict in the show. You could probably get two spin off shows with the side characters alone, that's a measure of how strong her characters were.

If we're talking potential spin offs I'd happily watch a Da Gerry and Granda Joe show. They have a great dynamic and for me they effortlessly steal every scene they're in.

Showing Erin's little sister later in life might be another spin-off?

The ending of Derry Girls is at its most poignant as the last one to leave is little young Anna as she's skipping on the arm of her Grand Dad towards the exit of the polling place. Because us viewers know that Anna will have no memory of the dark days of the Troubles. Little Miss Quinn will only remember a post GFA Ulster.

Out of interest, have Channel 4 given a reason as to why Derry Girls, which had to be one of the most beloved and critically acclaimed shows of recent years, hasn't had a DVD/Blu-ray release? The only thing I can think of is the amount of music used could be too expensive.

I imagine all concerned believe it the type of programme whose main, core audience would be devoted streamers, not physical needs purchasers.

Plus it's presumably all available free on All 4.

In case anyone is interested, I read that the website meanwhileinireland.com is:

"on the lookout for a fan who knows Derry Girls inside and out to create a definitive ranking of the best Derry Girls episodes, analysing every single episode and putting them in order to create the ultimate guide. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with previous experience as a critic or who wants to build their portfolio. The role will offer the candidate the chance to contribute to a leading media platform at an exciting stage in our growth. In addition to being offered a competitive rate of pay for the role, you will be required to work remotely. While this role is entirely flexible, this is a short-term temporary contract and all research must be submitted within three weeks from the start date. "

Rate of pay is £13.25 per hour for four - six hours per week over those three weeks. Applications by 10 March: https://meanwhileinireland.com/dream-job-derry-girls

Re the previous chat about spin-offs, a time-jump one isn't out of the question. The main cast (as in the girls and James) all played younger and are already in their late 20s/early 30s in real life. Nicola Coughlan is already in the second half of her 30s (I was shocked when I heard on a chat show - Graham Norton I think - that she's only 2 years younger than me!)

I mean, part of the show's appeal is that it's about that particular time in Derry and that close-to-the-border part of Northern-Ireland, but the show's ending with the agreement can act as a springboard to show their lives post-GFA. Or give it a few years the cast can play a bit older and have it in the present day.

But it was such a fantastic ending I also worry that a continuation may be lesser.