Detectorists 2022 Special

It's back. Lovely stuff.

"Pub?"
"Go on then"

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6853/new-detectorists-special/

Yes fantastic news, he'd hinted at a 4th series but a 1hr15min special will suffice, it should suit it as well. I never understood why it didn't make it off BBC4 onto 2 at least but maybe that channel gets as high viewer ratings as well now? To me this show is a prime channel must, but what do I know.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th May 2022, 9:16 AM

Yes fantastic news, he'd hinted at a 4th series but a 1hr15min special will suffice, it should suit it as well. I never understood why it didn't make it off BBC4 onto 2 at least but maybe that channel gets as high viewer ratings as well now? To me this show is a prime channel must, but what do I know.

Yeah I remember when it came up when he was promoting Wurzel Gummidge that he wanted to get the band back together (now sadly missing Diana Rigg).

It may well be moving to another channel (presuming BBC Two), as BBC Four is increasingly more about legacy content and documentaries/factual these days.

I did find it interesting that the press office page I posted (now understandably replaced by a neater Detectorists specific article from this site), that all of the other shows had their channels in brackets bar detectorists. So it could be on the move.

My (very uneducated) guess is it'll be part of the Christmas line up on BBC Two.

Yes, it's not been decided what channel it will be on yet. BBC Two is the most likely, but Four is still a possibility.

Simply gorgeous. Can't wait to see it!

Very good news this.

I'm hoping that people like Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones will be in it.

Personally, didn't think much of this Chrimbo special: felt overly long and drawn out at 75 mins. Andy's ditching of his dream to become a professional archaeologist felt out of sorts, as did the convenient burning down of the cottage. As for the use of the term "common era" - well I put that down to usual BBC PC interference!

Quote: gb901 @ 27th December 2022, 2:35 PM

As for the use of the term "common era" - well I put that down to usual BBC PC interference!

No, it's just an accurate depiction of the rot that has affected academia.

I enjoyed the special. It was a real treat and hint at the boys' hopeful success.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th December 2022, 2:49 PM

No, it's just an accurate depiction of the rot that has affected academia.

But didn't need to be adhered to, especially when the subject was JC, the very person for whom 'AD' was used for, for about 2000 years.

Quote: gb901 @ 27th December 2022, 2:35 PM

felt overly long and drawn out at 75 mins.

I thought the same, and the daft holy grail finale and the period flashback was the reason for an overrun of about 15mins. I think he was possibly caught into putting in a yuletide theme, for the final outing being at Xmas but the plot idea was just too stretched and it looked a bit forced imo.

The first 50mins to an hour though was very enjoyable, and thankfully was probably the episode most focused on their detectoring hobby, which I thought was the right way to end it. The family and relationship stuff was put in its place for once, especially when the odd choice of his wife seemed more miscast than ever, to me. The club involvement was excellent, up to the stretched skip finale.

I just thought the religious angle was a step too far from credibility. Toby Jones stole the show again, he carried the whole series for me and I think they probably underplayed his part, in hindsight, but Crook went for subtlety and inclusion of others, which did suit the series.