The Witchfinder Page 7

It's an odd sort of a show, that's for sure. At some points there's some very big, silly, broad humour; on occasion dark; and at times quite wry - modern dry, clever-clever, snark.

The subject, events and cinematography add up to a certain whimsy, which I'm enjoying, but that slightly peculiar mix of styles is proving a bit of an obstacle to really embracing it, and I suspect is what's ultimately aggravating many other commentators. Jack of all trades, master of none kind of phenomenon - it does a bit of everything, not going suitably far down any one path to sate almost anyone's comedy tastebuds.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th March 2022, 12:22 AM

Jack of all trades, master of none

Yes.
I think you've nailed it.
Quick, close the thread - quit while you're ahead.

I also agree with Aaron. I've seen 5 of the 6 episodes of The Witchfinder now, and have quite enjoyed it, though it's not been a total laugh fest; the series gets better as it goes on IMO.

Yep it's not funny, but it's a fairly enjoyable half hour

The Gibbons Brothers just don't seem capable of doing 'hilarious' comedy

Had half an hour to fill between something or other on the box, so had another dip in.
Episode 4 (I think) was pretty funny, actually.
A bit more action and a bit less wandering round the countryside - sharper all round, in fact.
It might escape the "Delete Series Link" button for another week.

Quote: Lazzard @ 4th April 2022, 3:39 PM

Had half an hour to fill between something or other on the box, so had another dip in.
Episode 4 (I think) was pretty funny, actually.
A bit more action and a bit less wandering round the countryside - sharper all round, in fact.
It might escape the "Delete Series Link" button for another week.

Well, it's definitely worth seeing the whole series now you've got this far IMO. Episode 4 was indeed where it started noticeably improving. The final episode is probably the best and the guest star in that one helps add a lot to it, it's one of the usually reliable names in British comedy.

Finally finished the last two episodes last night. Curious sort of a finale, almost leaning into rom-com territory. I found myself thinking I'd actually be interested in seeing the characters together in future, perhaps in a more domestic and explicitly romantic relationship. Might be a bit of a leap for the format though.

I was really looking forward to this on account of it being spearheaded by the Gibbons brothers - but was left sadly quite disappointed. I feel as though it may have worked better with a "Hunderby" type approach where they don't use contemporary language in a historical setting. However, Reece Shearsmith was absolutely wonderful as Matthew Hopkins.

Watched the whole series and barely tittered

Still enjoyed it though

I hope they do series 2

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th May 2022, 3:17 PM

Watched the whole series and barely tittered

Still enjoyed it though

I hope they do series 2

Yes. I think I was the same. Not great comedy but a fun story.

Its lack of protest on here we usually get when a popular with some sitcom is axed confirms to me it deserved it. I personally couldn't get to the end of ep1 but that was enough for me to never want to see its like again in the mainstream sitcom slot.

A sitcom it was not, a bit fat indulgence not uncommon to some involved in its production (namely Coogan) it was!

Quote: Chappers @ 16th May 2022, 9:32 PM

Yes. I think I was the same. Not great comedy but a fun story.

I won't miss it, and certainly will not watch any repeat.

In the end it was a 'nope' from me.
It just wasn't strong enough.
The comedy was all a bit one-note.
The highlights often coming from guest appearances and supporting characters.