I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,394

So Starmer didn't lie about it?
Choose your answer carefully.
Sanctimonious hypocracy is at stake

Pretty sure.
It was a Labour party press officer.
Recently when asked Starmer said she was there.
It's a dead cat.
Your man's a busted flush.
He got you your half-arsed, don't work, bolloxed up Brexit and you're his slave forever more.
Pitiful.

Pretty sure is wrong.
He lied a lot.
We are talking about KS here, deflection does not work.
And I now realise it's no good discussing anything with you as culpability is not your strong point.

If its real and he did it and he gets fined? Then he should and must stand down the minute it happens you can't apply this call one way.

To me, it's not about standing down or the 'crimes' committed, it's the holier than thou hypocrisy.
He was slating Boris et al when he knew he had done much the same thing - then putting up smoke screens.
I was cross and disgusted that the Tories were treating their own rules with contempt and expected Boris to go.
But all those at beergate were calling for it too...

It was always a mistake for Labour to obsess about partygate when they should have been hitting Tories with the cost of living crisis and the incredibly high tax burden (something the Tories traditionally should be opposed to)..

And partygate has mow morphed into beergate and we're awash with smug self-satisfied gloating while ordinary people struggle to survive.

I've never understood when every other gate is in the singular why Bill Gates is in the plural.

If it gets rid of Starmer and Johnson by default that works for me. I'd rather see either Andy Burnham or Ed Miliband at the helm.
Starmer is beyond bland and given he is a QC his advocacy skills at the Despatch Box against a man who is never off the back foot leave me in despair. I would also love to see Rayner go as well, as she is more a token than an asset.
My dream team would be Burnham/ Milliband as PM and Deputy PM and John Mc Donnell as Chancellor as that would at least be a bridge of sorts that members could meet on. Plus it puts two Scousers at the helm, so not much could go wrong there.
Harold Wilson said of his party "It's like stagecoach , you have to drive it as fast as you can. Because if you stop the passengers will get out and start fighting." Labour has always been factions.
The only difference now is that they are up against a movement not a party. No Conservative party of the past would have stood for what has gone on under Johnson. The likes of Dominic Grieves have been lost to them.
Instead a man who thinks he should reach the historic equivalence of Churchill surrounded by low grade sycophants . Is trashing this countries good name and standing on the world stage.
He talks like an Empire builder , but as it stands he is fighting to stop Ireland reunifying out of economic necessity. He is using the law to stop the SNP calling Indy Ref 2 and no doubt the Welsh will soon be looking to get away from the madness of Rome .

The economy?

Close down businesses for the best part of two years; forbid/discourage any interaction with those that are randomly allowed to stay open; put thousands of employees out of work; throw taxpayers' money at it recklessly. With the "opposition" parties either following suit (in the case of the devolved parliaments) or failing to oppose (indeed urging the government to do more, to do it earlier and to carry on for longer), what did they all expect to happen?

Disgusting that the fraudulent ex Mayor of Tower Hamlets has been voted back in. Either his constituents are thick or he's up to his old tricks again.

A corrupt leader when we have equality legislation, how could our legal system allow that ? Oh hang on, the Met Police have being denying the Police are racists for decades. I can see how that might happen. Good news that Ms Dick "resigned" though.

U2 perform in Kyiv bomb shelter during brief unexpected visit.

Yes lovely - but surely it would be kinder if they now stayed there for all time?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th May 2022, 1:35 PM

The economy?

Close down businesses for the best part of two years; forbid/discourage any interaction with those that are randomly allowed to stay open; put thousands of employees out of work; throw taxpayers' money at it recklessly. With the "opposition" parties either following suit (in the case of the devolved parliaments) or failing to oppose (indeed urging the government to do more, to do it earlier and to carry on for longer), what did they all expect to happen?

It doesn't make any b***y difference does it! You anti-Boris mob would find something to complain about, no matter what decision he had taken then. If he had NOT imposed the lock-down and invoked social distancing your post would have probably have been about how Boris has caused thousands of deaths of the elderly & susceptible people, just to 'keep the economy running' for his rich friends. Get it through your thick heads: there was no magic solution to the COVID-19 virus crisis, just a choice between two or more evils. Some countries chose one of the evils, some other countries chose different ones. Only in hind-sight is it possible to know which was the lesser of the evils. There's no bleeding point in complaining about what was actually done. With the information available at the time choices had to be made and were made, live with them! Without bitching. It's extremely unlikely that if there had been any other person as PM at the time, he/she might by chance have chosen one of the other evils and that might possibly have led to a result more suitable to YOU, and less suitable to people other than you. Hoo-b**y-Rah.

Quote: billwill @ 8th May 2022, 8:58 PM

There's no bleeding point in complaining

Thank you. My point exactly. There's no point in the "opposition" parties and their supporters complaining about the state of the economy when they were complicit in - indeed supported - the actions that led to the situation in which we now find ourselves. As I said what did they all expect to happen?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th May 2022, 9:29 AM

Thank you. My point exactly. There's no point in the "opposition" parties and their supporters complaining about the state of the economy when they were complicit in - indeed supported - the actions that led to the situation in which we now find ourselves. As I said what did they all expect to happen?

You seem to be lumping all of our economic woes as the fault of lockdowns, while forgetting about the current War in Ukraine. And Brexit, although we're not allowed to mention the B word without people getting uppity.

Also, even without lockdowns the pandemic would have done untold damage to the economy.