What are the best 10 ITV sitcoms... Page 4

No, that's the one!

Quote: Aaron @ 20th April 2022, 6:47 PM

No, that's the one!

Yus - and whatever people say about Juan Carlos, Miguel de Cervantes, Christopher Columbus and Pablo Picasso, there will only ever be one truly great Spaniard for me.

Obviously that's Derek Griffiths.

Mind Your Language

I don't understand all this love for them,they were mostly awful.
And that was then!

Quote: Aaron @ 20th April 2022, 7:21 PM

Mind Your Language

I love that one.

Thanks for reminding me Aaron.

I hope that Up the Elephant and round the Castle has already been mentioned
Kudos to whoever did

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 20th April 2022, 11:30 PM

I hope that Up the Elephant and round the Castle has already been mentioned
Kudos to whoever did

It even had a spin-off/sequel, Home James!.

Feels like a good point to recommend this book: https://www.comedy.co.uk/people/robert-sellers/shop/7219/raising-laughter-sitcom-smiling-70s/

Good call on The Lovers whoever said that, made an even better film imo, but I enjoyed the sitcom repeat a few years back, a charming series with two sitcom greats in their first outing.
I'm not sure what's left but I'll throw in The Baldy Man. Yes. Even funnier in the adverts, some of the best ever made imo.
And the barely remembered or watched tbh but I liked what I did see of It Takes a Worried Man. From the writer of Shelley I believe.

No one mentioned The Rag Trade? Then I will. A colour refit of the old BBC scripts I think or I could be wrong, and that was a semi classic series.
Never The Twain, corny perhaps, but had a great double act clearly enjoying themselves, you could hear this sitcom in the other room.
Andy Capp. Spooner's Patch, The Squirrels are ones I missed but would still like to see.

A few serviceable domcoms (something ITV were particularly good at) as pleasant background viewing - Keep It in the Family, Fresh Fields, Life Begins at Forty, Me and My Girl. A few to be getting on with.

Ah yes. The Lovers. Now that's one good ITV comedy.

Yus.

The Rag Trade is very good - I like that one a lot - and Up The Elephants and Over The Drawbridge To The Castle is bloody fantastic if you like that kind of thing. My familys came from near the Old Kent Road so we do. Whiles we are very liberals and love everybodys equally we don't dos Black Lives Matters Malcolm X salutes at football matches or even the campaign to call that soccer. Nor we do go much into the 1749 era cross party Gentleman's Club at the heart of Governments which I believes is called The Stonewall. We are very balanced and normal in that ways in ourselves. Proper suburban.

I have never said this befores but all of the favourites sitcoms on my profiles.

I did this years agos.

I deliberately chose the ones which silly liberal people might say are politically incorrects and silly conservative people who are like Mary Whitehouses might say are too rudes.

Then I threw in a bunch of other stuffs so that peoples wouldn't have a bleeding clue where I was coming from.

Because I have always been very mature like this.

I should have been the Prime Minster really.

The Two of Us

I think Surgical Spirit was ITV. I loved that.

I'm going to stretch the definition of the word 'sitcom' quite a lot here, and hope it doesn't result in too much bloodshed (considering the recent controversy on a different thread, about whether 'The Witchfinder' can be called a 'sitcom' or not...)

Minder. I've never really thought of it as a 'sitcom', so wasn't going to mention it here - but, it has its own page on this site where it's called a 'comedy drama'. And I like it much more than most of the other ITV progs mentioned so far in this thread.

The Persuaders! Again, not really a sitcom; and this one's not on this site. But, it gets referred to as an 'action comedy series' on wikipedia.

So, what do you make of THAT?

Quote: a plate @ 22nd April 2022, 9:38 PM

I'm going to stretch the definition of the word 'sitcom' quite a lot here, and hope it doesn't result in too much bloodshed (considering the recent controversy on a different thread, about whether 'The Witchfinder' can be called a 'sitcom' or not...)

Minder. I've never really thought of it as a 'sitcom', so wasn't going to mention it here - but, it has its own page on this site where it's called a 'comedy drama'. And I like it much more than most of the other ITV progs mentioned so far in this thread.

The Persuaders! Again, not really a sitcom; and this one's not on this site. But, it gets referred to as an 'action comedy series' on wikipedia.

So, what do you make of THAT?

I make of it 126 words although it could be a couple either side of that number as arithmetic has never been my strongest suit.

The last two of my (first?) 20 are Full Stretch and Whoops Apolcalypse!

Coincidence or what?