Inside No. 9 - Series 7

Whatd'ya think?

Just watched the first episode, Merrily Merrily - mostly very enjoyable, well acted and involving, alternately amusing, dark and moving. But I wasn't quite so keen on the ending, which seemed rather rushed.

Quote: a plate @ 21st April 2022, 1:09 AM

But I wasn't quite so keen on the ending, which seemed rather rushed.

SPOILER?!? But we can't wait forever............

What was your take on it? Was he dead? Were they dead? Was that Charon, taking him over the Styx? Was it all a dream? Was he already dead?

We need to know these things! ?

And where was the golden hare?

I'm pretty sure Steve was blond under that hat.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st April 2022, 9:12 AM

SPOILER?!? Was he dead? Were they dead? Was that Charon, taking him over the Styx? Was it all a dream? Was he already dead?

Yes. Yes. Yes. No. No.
(Starting to sound like Jim Trott, there.)
Only question I have is how/why did Reece's character die?
We know/presume the others died by falling into the repeatedly signposted "deadly" cold water (though why they couldn't swim to shore like he did, I don't know.)
Did he top himself?

Thought it was a fairly weak start, to be honest.
Sweet enough, but felt the characters a little thin and predictable.
Without Diane Morgan, I venture to suggest it might have been a tad dull.

Loved it. Lovely to see Mark Gatiss and there were so many laugh out loud lines. I say this after every episode, but to have that level of character development in half an hour is really astonishing.

The ending I feel was a very deliberate rug pull. You're expecting a suicide, or perhaps a revenge/murder scheme but that doesn't happen.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 21st April 2022, 5:57 PM

but that doesn't happen.

What does though?
I might have missed something, but why does Reece die?

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st April 2022, 6:21 PM

What does though?
I might have missed something, but why does Reece die?

Why do any of us die?

Yes - love seeing Diane Morgan as a tarty chav.

It really is like an updated "Tales of the Unexpected".

What I don't understand is why anybody considers it a comedy.

I always think of it as "Tales of the Unexpected" with gags.

So I'm guessing no-one knows why he died at the end?

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st April 2022, 10:36 PM

So I'm guessing no-one knows why he died at the end?

I think your previous suggestion was right, that we're supposed to assume that he killed himself...

He looked very ill at the end, I thought he died from the freezing water and then lying all night in the cold and wet.
I don't think the others died at all. Death said they were on the other side, ie alive.

I think, if you spend half an hour watching a programme and are none the wiser at the end, it probably isn't worth bothering to watch in the future.

Quote: zooo @ 22nd April 2022, 8:16 AM

I don't think the others died at all. Death said they were on the other side, ie alive.

You reckon?
I always thought passed over to "the other side" meant dead.
Plus - filmically - the juxtaposition of them fighting on the boat and then the empty boat strongly suggests they fell in and died.
I'm just not sure the ending was particularly well executed.
And I'm a huge fan of the series.