Best episode of Dad's Army

Dads Army is my favourite sitcom by a country mile, but what is the best episode. Mine has to be "Operation Kilt"- Series 2, episode 1.

I don't actually have one favourite as they were all really decent episodes. But has anyone ever played the Dads Army closing credits game? It's fantastic.

Wait until the credits roll and the camera focuses on each character. Then for every name you see like Arthur Lowe, John Beck and Arnold Ridley, you shout out in a really loud voice 'DEAD'. Oh it's brilliant fun and great for everyone of all ages too.

That's sick. But I'm still laughing.

Quote: Aaron @ March 26, 2007, 5:25 PM

That's sick. But I'm still laughing.

It's only funny because we've all done it, come to think of it is Clive Dunn still alive? (maybe just)

To answer the questions their all good but Round And Round Went The Great Big Wheel springs to mind

Haha, yes, he is. (As far as I know, anyway.)

Couldn't possibly pick a best episode though. Best series' were undoubtedly (IMO) those featuring James Beck, though.

And the series James Beck was in before he died? Romany Jones.

Funnily enough, I've never seen that.

Although if anyone has copies... ;)

(No. Seriously. I'll watch anything.)

One of my favourite episodes of Dads Army has to be the one entitled "Never Too Old" where Corporal Jones and Mrs Fox finally marry!

The reason it is one of my most favourite episodes is because it has to be one of the best endings to a sitcom I have ever seen. It doesn't lose the plot or go off the rails with a silly ending like OFAH did for example.

Instead it appears to be a normal episode until right up until the end where they are on guard duty and they are toasting Corparol Jones's marriage and they have a toast to all the soldiers in the Home Guard, everywhere.

A fitting end to a fantastic TV Series!

:)

I love the one with Jones losing his money. That was class

"What's going on here?"
"You may well ask. They knock me out of bed, ask me to inspect my turkey and tell me it's for the King"
"Have you been drinking Mainwaring?"

Also the thing where Jones and the rest, who have been out looking for Nuns who are really Germans (as so often the case), have gone out on a bender.

Quote: wii-man76 @ June 9, 2007, 6:39 PM

One of my favourite episodes of Dads Army has to be the one entitled "Never Too Old" where Corporal Jones and Mrs Fox finally marry!

The reason it is one of my most favourite episodes is because it has to be one of the best endings to a sitcom I have ever seen. It doesn't lose the plot or go off the rails with a silly ending like OFAH did for example.

Instead it appears to be a normal episode until right up until the end where they are on guard duty and they are toasting Corparol Jones's marriage and they have a toast to all the soldiers in the Home Guard, everywhere.

A fitting end to a fantastic TV Series!

:)

Yes, but the beginning was at a dinner where Mainwaring was talking about his time in the Home Guard.

STILL one of teh funniest things ever to be on TV, consistantly brilliant and funny.

Personal favourites of mine are "High Finance" and "The Deadly Attachment".

I always liked My British Buddy; I love the ego puffery of the ally rivalry. In the same vain, the Steptoe and Son episode Pilgrim's Progress with the fight on the plane is another one of my favourite classic TV episodes.

Quote: Baumski @ March 26 2007, 9:23 PM BST

I don't actually have one favourite as they were all really decent episodes. But has anyone ever played the Dads Army closing credits game? It's fantastic.

Wait until the credits roll and the camera focuses on each character. Then for every name you see like Arthur Lowe, John Beck and Arnold Ridley, you shout out in a really loud voice 'DEAD'. Oh it's brilliant fun and great for everyone of all ages too.

No. 6 on Things People Say to the Television

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-asa-o7g3Q

The best episode of "Dad's Army" is the one I've just seen!

Quote: Ed Parnell @ June 19 2007, 8:54 AM BST

Yes, but the beginning was at a dinner where Mainwaring was talking about his time in the Home Guard.

STILL one of teh funniest things ever to be on TV, consistantly brilliant and funny.

Isn't this when Mainwaring finds out for the first time that Wilson was an officer who endured the horror of the trenches (you never asked Sir).
This makes re-watching Wilson's subtlety dismissive attitude to Mainwaring Homeguard escapades all the more poignant.
Favourite episodes:
Arthur Lowe playing Mainwaring's drunken rogue brother Barry.

When Wilson is entitled 'Honourable.' Wilson gently ratcheting up Mainwaring's petty middle class envy is a joy to watch.

Yep, both of those are in my top 5, the other 3 hmm, probably Mainwaring drinking with the officers, Lowe plays a great drunk; the brilliant stuck on the town hall clock one, must be my fave, and of course the classic u-boat crew one already mentioned -

Walker: So that's three with salt and vinegar, two salt without vinegar, two vinegar without salt and two without salt or vinegar?
Mainwearing: Walker, Walker!
U-boat Capt: And no soggy chips. I vant mine crisp unt light brown.
Mainwaring: If we tell you to have soggy chips, you'll have soggy chips!
(or something similar)

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I like..

"No Spring for Fraser" and "The Honorable Arthur Wilson" (or whatever it's called).

("Leave the office Pike!")