The Death of British Comedy Page 7

Is there any difference from being made to being shown? If a channel airs a show from 1975, is that not an endorsement of the show, and a statement that they'd make more new ones like it if only there were people who wanted to write them? I'm still amazed and pleased at what does get shown on repeat channels. Rising Damp has been shown within the last five years on ITV3 and it's one of the most gloriously unPC sitcoms ever. You can't cut Philip out of the show just to keep Rigsby's naughtiest lines off the screen, because he's a major character (played superbly) and it would cut the show in half.

Ricky Gervais said last year when The Office was 20, it wouldn't get made today. Well the Beeb have just made The Office fully available to watch on iplayer. so I'm wondering what the difference is. Surely in plain and simple terms, what's allowed to be aired is allowed to be produced in the same fashion and aired. So why aren't they?

In many ways Rising Damp is highly woke and very PC because the white middle aged man is made to look a fool. Hell, if it was released now you'd think feminists wrote it as a vitriolic attack on the patriarchy.

I totally agree Alfred , but the point about this cat was he was religious nutter who started banging on about gays and gods. And of course the level of inclusion and other stuff is killing comedy in many ways . But the reality is that its their time and they are calling the shots.
I have loved comedy since I first saw things like Harold Lloyd Tom & Jerry , Groucho and co right up to newer stuff like the BIG Bang Theory which by the way is amazing funny but I doubt that could be re made in the current climate.
I still try to write for TV but I get nowhere and it can hurt at times but I am trying to adapt as I am trying to make money not change the world.
Privately I laugh at anything if its funny as I don't give a f**k about the subject matter within reason I just don't do hate stuff. And while I try to conform with what the market wants I don 't consider myself woke. In fact I could PM you a list of people I could strangle with my bare hands to prove I'm not woke and don't worry you're not on it .

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th February 2022, 11:06 AM

Just your run of the mill alt-right barking mad conspiracy theory.
That Norwegian bloke who killed all those kids was a big fan.

You are possible the biggest barker.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th February 2022, 12:41 PM

You are possible the biggest barker.

Not sure what that means.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 13th February 2022, 1:11 PM

[Image=https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5952/svFebH.jpg]

No picture. Not sure your BB code is right.

Sorry. I'm no good at tech stuff.

Just put square brackets, the first with the word image in the brackets and the second with /image inside the brackets, either side of https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5952/svFebH.jpg

People never consider that the reason The Inbetweeners won't get made now, is that The Inbetweeners has already been made. Sit coms aren't like other parts of popular culture, like pop music and movies, where the goal is to copy what's successful, it's the opposite, where things must always be different. To be honest, I think that's a bit dumb, it it seems to be the case.

So, if you saw a coming of age/cherry-popping sit com, but they were all girls/queer/Muslim/living in sectarian Belfast in the 80s, it's less because straight white English cis-males aren't allowed on TV any more, it's just that commissioners keep looking for facile indications of novelty.

PS I can see no reason why a cherry-popping sit com where the characters were girls/queer/Muslim/living in sectarian Belfast in the 80s couldn't be good, we'd have to see what the scripts and production were like. I'm not that mad on The Inbetweeners in the first place, to be honest, but it has it's good points.

(Many thanks to Lazzard for his tech advice.)

Quote: alison blunderland @ 13th February 2022, 2:33 PM

FWIW, I see myself less at Moses and more as God.

I see some of you are still talking nonsense. Some palatable facts (and some not).

If you have to google what Cultural Marxism is, it means you don't know and shouldn't really be discussing ideologies as though you knew what you were talking about. You've never heard of Gramsci, The Franfurt School, or critical theory and you think "that Norwegan guy" (Breivik) was a Cultural Marxist? (Rolls eyes). You've never heard of Marcuse or Horkheimer, who were Cultural Marxist icons long before the term 'conspiracy theories' was invented? No offence and all that, but do you realize how embarrasingly thick some of you come across when you try to talk about politics?

This is an example of the garbage you're indoctrinated with. It's funny in a sense, but embarrasingly so because when we look at society we see this kind of nonsense staring back at us.

https://philip.greenspun.com/zoo/red-riding-hood

Censorship is not humour, it's the complete opposite. It's why you can't make money out of it because writing under speech censorship is not a skill and the end product is not humour. Comedy is a skill; writing about two men sitting in a pub talking and worrying if you've offended someone by what you've written is not a skill.

Cultural Marxism, very briefly and in plain English, is the move away from the traditional Marxist explanation of workers as causal agents of revolution to the minorities. From Marx's class and economics to Gramsci's culture. The methods are different but the aims are the same; to destroy traditional society. Some of you may know it as counter culture - counter, alternative?

It's not something that's hidden, you can see it around you. The drug and alcohol empidemic, the undermining of teachers authority in schools, the plurality of religions, State benefit dependency, mass immigration... Cultural Marxism was purposely designed to destroy the social order through anarchy, and political correctness introduced to counter dissent through censorship. Some of you here if unwittingly and unaware are trying to change the world because you're a part of that PC.
After the social chaos comes authoritarianism because that's all communism ever was.
Meanwhile, we get 'Boris the Buffoon' because he's a reflection of our current society.

And this is where it came from. You haven't discovered anything new, you became Cultural Marxists via a quarter century of the EU and don't even know what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2Ql3wOGcU

Something personally learned in censored societies is you can't debate indoctrination. You are what you are and your minds are closed. You are what is commonly referred to as 'the lost generation.' If you ever visit indoctriated countries like China or North Korea you will meet your kindred spirits there. Certainly, it's not as bad here yet, but you're on the right path.
And I didn't need the google to tell me that.

And that's Bearsplaining.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 13th February 2022, 3:18 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2Ql3wOGcU .

YES

Love the fact that Mr. "Not Embarrassingly Thick" completely missed the point of me mentioning Breivik.
Of course he wasn't a Cultural Marxist (rolls eyes).
He did, however, like you believe the theory that these dark forces were at play.
It's all over his 'manifesto'.