The Death of British Comedy Page 6

Lazzard if I knew how to post photos I would have posted the town sign for Nuneaton , it's almost like Coventry but you get to laugh out loud at home.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th February 2022, 9:40 PM

Really?
Every comedy show?

I'm more upset that apparently now "woke" is an infinitive verb.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 12th February 2022, 9:49 PM

Lazzard if I knew how to post photos I would have posted the town sign for Nuneaton , it's almost like Coventry but you get to laugh out loud at home.

And enjoy some convent cunnilingus.

I've enjoyed this thread, it went full on crazy quite fast.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2022, 9:39 PM

And that's not even including Scotland with its ludicrous thought crime laws.

Agreed

Quote: gappy @ 12th February 2022, 9:34 PM

That's in the South Bank Centre, right?

Will, I agree that it's bonkers that telling a joke can be a criminal offence - Count Dankula is innocent! Though woefully unfunny! - but I still don't think that this has ruined comedy...or, indeed, that comedy is actually ruined. And anyone who bemoans cancel culture has to start by defining it, because I've not found two people with the same answer yet.

When comedy venues cancelled the gigs for a certain comedian (who had stated some very strange things I have to say) that was mass cancel hysteria. Let the public decide if they want to go and see certain comedians, not the permanently offended.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th February 2022, 9:40 PM

Really?
Every comedy show?

Obviously you misunderstood what I wrote (this is where I would have put the emoji with the tongue sticking out cheekily).

Do you think the inbetweeners would get made today with the 4 leads all being blokes?

I don't know, they're still making Red Dwarf and Plebs.

Quote: zooo @ 12th February 2022, 11:14 PM

I don't know, they're still making Red Dwarf and Plebs.

Yes but one is a robot and one Is a cat (we really need the emojis back to show when we are not being serious).

I think they would make The Inbetweeners with 4 male leads, actually.

I'm not sure they'd get away with quite so much of the silly, coarse humour though.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2022, 11:44 PM

I think they would make The Inbetweeners with 4 male leads, actually.

I'm not sure they'd get away with quite so much of the silly, coarse humour though.

And that's the problem. Who are these moral crusaders currently deciding what people can and can't find funny? I hazard a guess that 90% of blokes phones and probably considerably less % of ladies phones contain a meme, joke, video or 'funny' WhatsApp conversations that someone somewhere might be offended by. Thought crime (as you mentioned in play in Scotland) is a real threat to comedy. Just Google R v Harry Miller to see where the police policing tweets was taking us down a rabbit hole until Harry (crowdfunded) fought back.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 12th February 2022, 4:00 PM

I came here to discuss comedy

Good. Then stay and do so. Don't let a couple of people put you off. I did warn you from the outset there were those who would jump on you from a great height. You've stood your ground, which is admirable, but now move on.

Quote: Will Cam @ 12th February 2022, 11:40 PM

Yes but one is a robot and one Is a cat (we really need the emojis back to show when we are not being serious).

I'm not convinced all four of the Inbetweeners are human, to be honest.

Quote: Will Cam @ 12th February 2022, 11:40 PM

? Meeow - like that, you mean.

I think Inbetweeners would definitely get made now because it both starred and appealed to young people, the demographic broadcasters are desperate to reach.

I also think we need to stop playing this game where we pretend such and such a show couldn't be made now as most of the time it's just moral panic for the sake of moral panic. OFAH has been mentioned in this thread as a show that couldn't be made now. Yes it could, easily. There might be a few minor differences to reflect the world now, but it'd still be essentially the same show. Would it get the same huge audiences? Probably not because there's a million other things now to watch.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th February 2022, 12:06 AM

Good. Then stay and do so. Don't let a couple of people put you off. I did warn you from the outset there were those who would jump on you from a great height. You've stood your ground, which is admirable, but now move on.

Careful, the Cultural Marxists might get you.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th February 2022, 10:55 AM

Careful, the Cultural Marxists might get you.

I actuallyI had to google cultural marxists, and got a shed load of anti-semetic far right nonsense for my trouble.

Quote: chipolata @ 13th February 2022, 11:03 AM

I actuallyI had to google cultural marxists, and got a shed load of anti-semetic far right nonsense for my trouble.

Just your run of the mill alt-right barking mad conspiracy theory.
That Norwegian bloke who killed all those kids was a big fan.