The Late Edition Page 4

Last nights show was possibly the funniest thing on TV for a good while. His Heather Mills rant was inspired and actually had me laughing out loud, something I very rarely...

kjs

I have to say, last night's was probably the first time I've watched it since series one. The Mills rant was indeed absolutely spot on. Faultless, I'd go so far to say.

Unfortunately, I just don't like Brigstocke. I'm not really entirely sure why, but I just can't take him seriously, which is pretty important with his 'field' of material (largely satirical). To me he comes across as a one-tone comic, almost exclusively attacking the background from which he so obviously comes (white, middle class, etc). Criticising conservatism, capitalism, the Daily Mail et. al is all well and good, but when there's so little else (that I've seen anyway) to his act, it becomes incredibly tiresome.

Quote: Aaron @ March 20, 2008, 2:04 PM

Unfortunately, I just don't like Brigstocke. I'm not really entirely sure why, but I just can't take him seriously, which is pretty important with his 'field' of material (largely satirical). To me he comes across as a one-tone comic, almost exclusively attacking the background from which he so obviously comes (white, middle class, etc). Criticising conservatism, capitalism, the Daily Mail et. al is all well and good, but when there's so little else (that I've seen anyway) to his act, it becomes incredibly tiresome.

I agree. Brigstocke is something of a one tone performer, always attacking the same targets. He's far better suited to The Now Show, where we just get him for about five minutes once a week.

Overall, The Late Edition would work much better with a far more likeable host. The reason The Daily Show is such a success is that Jon Stewart is such an agreeable person.

I love him!

His rants are brilliant almost every week.

And he acknowledges the irony of his own middle classness all the time. He does have self awareness.

I forgot he was in those shows. He was very good in them, and The Museum of Everything. I loved that show. He's got a face for radio as well.

That is a matter of opinion. ;)

A face for sitting on, etc etc?

But yeah, he does indeed point out the irony. But he shouldn't need to. He should be able to find something else to comment on/about. That kind of self-hatred type thingy, particularly to the amount he does it, as Griff notes, is tiresome.

IMO, he's got potential, but doesn't exercise it.

Plus he did a show with Anne Robinson, for that alone he deserves a short custodial sentence.

Laughing out loud

It did have an excellent name though. What's the Problem? ... With Anne Robinson. :D

I like Marcus Brigstocke's rants on this show, and The Now Show.

I'm surprised the BBC let him go ahead with that rant about Liverpool on last Wednesday's Late Edition though... it made me laugh, a lot. I doubt any Scousers watching were laughing though!

Quote: Mark @ March 21, 2008, 11:33 PM

I like Marcus Brigstocke's rants on this show, and The Now Show.

I'm surprised the BBC let him go ahead with that rant about Liverpool on last Wednesday's Late Edition though... it made me laugh, a lot. I doubt any Scousers watching were laughing though!

I shouldn't think he'll be too worried, it'll take them two or three weeks to find one of them who can spell well enough to write a letter by which time, what with the booze and drugs, they'll have forgotten what they were complaining about...

kjs

Quote: KJSmyling @ March 21, 2008, 11:38 PM

I shouldn't think he'll be too worried, it'll take them two or three weeks to find one of them who can spell well enough to write a letter by which time, what with the booze and drugs, they'll have forgotten what they were complaining about...

:D

He probably is safe. I must admit I did wonder whether anyone from Liverpool watches BBC4.

Incidently I've just found this clip of Bridgstocke's awesome Heather Mills rant on YouTube for anyone who hasn't yet seen it, and doesn't want to wade through the rest of the show on iPlayer. It's a bad recording but a very funny minute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fej6U0vYPxM

BEATRICE IS FOUR!!! ha ha

I think he nicely sum up what everyone in the country is thinking... what an un-grateful bitch!

Laughing out loud re Liverpool.

Do they have electricity up there yet anyway?