King Gary is back Page 4

Quote: GAP1 @ 7th September 2021, 5:49 PM

Not for the first time, I appear to be in the minority

Nope ya ain't! It's a cracker of a show.
Bring on Series 3!

It's getting remarkably poor TV ratings, so I'd be surprised if it did return - but then that was the same for Series 1. I've been told it gets most of its viewers through iPlayer, but the BBC keep those statistics largely to themselves.

I'd probably err towards no return, but wouldn't want to bet on it.

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 8th September 2021, 8:57 AM

Nope ya ain't! It's a cracker of a show.
Bring on Series 3!

Cracker? Are you on medication!

Quote: Aaron @ 8th September 2021, 12:06 PM

It's getting remarkably poor TV ratings, so I'd be surprised if it did return - but then that was the same for Series 1. I've been told it gets most of its viewers through iPlayer, but the BBC keep those statistics largely to themselves.

I'd probably err towards no return, but wouldn't want to bet on it.

We can only hope. Frankly, since the high of murder in successville TD's output (action team and this) has been very, very poor IMO!

Quote: tenbeersbold @ 8th September 2021, 7:57 AM

Bring on Series 3!

Thank f**k for that - there ain't gonna be a turd. Dropped after 2 series - how the f**k it got that far is a bloody mystery.

He would have been a good character on the Fast Show.
2 minutes every week.

No real comment to add on this so called sitcom as I only watched about half of one episode including a not bad subplot involving a skip which the whole street used against his vain attempts to stop it. The problem I found with this as I do with most modern non studio sitcoms is they (often badly) lack the vitality of a trad style studio sitcom with audience track, or at least a good one - From the opening minute you anticipating coiled springs to go off and are invested in a new one off little story with a definite conclusion, which keeps you watching till the end.

This, along with most modern single camera sitcoms with the big exception of Derry Girls which is really a trad sitcom filmed the modern way, is they meander flatly through a soapy, barely constructed episode, with no great difference to the last one. There are no coiled springs you're expecting to go off, no big events where the laughs tumble out. Still waiting for the third and final series of Derry Girls, which deserves another six series, never mind one.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th January 2022, 7:53 AM

No real comment to add on this so called sitcom as I only watched about half of one episode including a not bad subplot involving a skip which the whole street used against his vain attempts to stop it.

That idea was used years ago in an episode of One Foot in the Grave, so nothing new there then. Glad I didn't watch it after the very first episode, when I could see it was going nowhere.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th January 2022, 7:53 AM

This, along with most modern single camera sitcoms ... is they meander flatly through a soapy, barely constructed episode, with no great difference to the last one. There are no coiled springs you're expecting to go off, no big events ...

Very interesting observation. Not thought of it from this angle before, but I think you're onto something.

I can't see anywhere that it's axed? I do know he (Tom Davis) has a new show over at Channel 4 though.

Just realised I don't think I finished series 2. I enjoyed Series 1 and the Christmas episode but remember that I couldn't really get into Series 2.

Quote: Feeoree @ 25th January 2022, 10:17 PM

I can't see anywhere that it's axed?

I read it somewhere (I thought it was on here) but bloody typical, I can't find it now.

I liked S1 as it reminded me of my neighbourhood, but S2 was quite patchy. It did have some funny bits in it though - "mickey drips?'

"BBC One axes King Gary"

Well, that doesn't surprise me - unfunny!

I thought it had been axed long ago. Another failed no questions asked giveaway commission to a stand-up many sitcom viewers have barley heard of. I found it not much different to the rest of the twaddle these professional comedians create - bland, rambling and forgettable.