Talking Pictures TV Page 11

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd January 2022, 12:28 AM

Did anyone catch the recovered episode of The Dickie Henderson Show in early December? I really enjoyed. Not sophisticated by any means - just funny.

THE DICKIE HENDERSON SHOW "THE MAID"

Yes, written by Jimmy Grafton of the once famous Grafton Arms, where anyone who was anyone in 1950s comedy would congregate pre fame - Spike, Harry, Peter, Hancock etc. etc. (if only I had a time machine!!)

I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and have saved it to DVD, just a shame nearly all of them have been wiped. I remember watching it, in the day, and now looking it up, I'm amazed at how many famous stars guested on the show - I think there was a different one each week worked into the story. Another lost gem in my opinion.

His wife in the sitcom was the pretty June Laverick, who is still alive, and in one of the recent "Footage Detectives" on TPTV, they appealed for her to come to the studio, as some of those ageing TV stars have done, to be interviewed.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd January 2022, 9:10 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and have saved it to DVD, just a shame nearly all of them have been wiped.

Yeah, a crying shame. There are more than enough still surviving to make a DVD release though. 12 or 13 IIRC. I'll pray that Network are on it.

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd January 2022, 1:31 PM

Yeah, a crying shame. There are more than enough still surviving to make a DVD release though. 12 or 13 IIRC. I'll pray that Network are on it.

Wow, didn't know that. Let's hope there is a DVD soon, as I would certainly buy it.

TPTV is beginning a re-run of the the very first B&W series of The Saint from 1962 next Sunday (20 March) at 6pm.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th March 2022, 9:10 PM

TPTV is beginning a re-run of the the very first B&W series of The Saint from 1962 next Sunday (20 March) at 6pm.

Wasn't bothered to set anything, and just happened to tune in when it started, and I have to say, it was most enjoyable and stands up well for something 60 years!!! later.

Had Derek Farr and Patricia Roc who I've now seen in many a post war B&W film, and the gorgeous, golden Shirley Eaton

Have now set the digi-box for a Sunday tea-time treat. ?

I liked the Saint.I read the Charteris books when I was a lad before the TV series started.
Although he's very 1960's on TV he had been around years before that.

I loved the stock films of various countries to give the illusion of where he might be.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2022, 11:32 PM

Have now set the digi-box for a Sunday tea-time treat. ?

Tonight's, set in Rome, had Alf Garnett as an Italian taxi driver

"Dear Friends and Supporters of Film & TV History,

It's a week of momentous birthdays, not least our own! Talking Pictures TV turns seven on Thursday May 26th.

How we remember that day seven years ago when we stared at the blank screen waiting for our first film to roll, filled with both nerves and excitement. We began with just 1 viewer and now 5 million of you tune in each week. What a journey! Our mission is the same as it was on day one, to bring variety to your screens and to please all our viewers and fans as much as we can, to rescue films and series from deep dark archives and to celebrate film and TV history.

We're so happy to have you with us and Noel and I want to thank you for all your support. Its been quite a journey! Glad you've all kept your seats in the 1 /9's!

We share our birthday with that great actor, Peter Cushing. To honour him, we are showing the touching documentary, Peter Cushing: Behind the Camera (Thursday at 5.30pm), which features tributes from many of those who knew him.

The following day, Friday May 27th, marks the birthday of another Hammer legend, Christopher Lee. The Cellar Club presents a 1996 interview with the great man himself. Don't miss The Many Faces of Christopher Lee on Friday at 11.05pm.

Hillary On Everest shows Sunday 29th May at 3.25pm, on the anniversary of his achievement of reaching the summit of the world's tallest mountain."

TPTV's new RED BUTTON Encore service launches on Freeview Channel 82 this Thursday 1st September. If you have an internet connected tv and are on FREEVIEW, press the red button on your remote control to scroll between 100s of films and TV series - read the FAQs here:

https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/FAQ/Red-Button-FAQs

Yes, I saw that, but I don't have an internet connected TV, but do have a red button on my Virgin box, which is virtually useless in that it takes ages to tune into iPlayer, so don't think it will work with TPTV.

TPTV is by far the best channel on terrestrial televison , the sheer variety of films and programmes they show is wonderful.

They often show the classic "Doctor" films and various Ealing comedy films; on Thursday night they showing "She knows you Know" a 1962 film starring Hylda Baker.

I've been watching the channel for many years now, and there are few films on I haven't seen, but I also love the obscure documentaries they unearth - there was the highlights on the making of a Raleigh bicycle, which I'd seen before, but never noticed the commentary which sounded just like Harry Enfield's Mr Grayson spoofs - so funny, although it was meant to be serious.

Do you watch the Footage Detectives on Sunday at 5 in the afternoon? You should, as it is brilliant, where they get people to identify cars, buses, towns and scenery etc. in these private and commercial films - fascinating. Presented by of all people DJ Mike Read and founder of TPTV Noel Cronin. They also sometimes have the son or daughter on of someone famous in film/TV who brings in family films.

Give it a look! ? If you don't already

Yes sir i watch the footage detectives every week, my favourite was the Last of the Summer Wine special with Morris Bright a few weeks ago.

It's a Jimmy Edwards special on the Footage Detectives today.