Alma's Not Normal Page 2

I watched the pilot which I recall enjoying but was slightly put out that S1 Ep1 was almost identical. It's OK but there aren't many laughs to be had so far; I'll give Ep2 a watch though as it probably needs to grow on me.

So far it's not a patch on Pulling.

The pilot usually is the first episode. They probably just tweaked it a bit to fit in better with the other episodes, once written.

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 3rd October 2021, 12:47 PM

I watched the pilot which I recall enjoying but was slightly put out that S1 Ep1 was almost identical. It's OK but there aren't many laughs to be had so far; I'll give Ep2 a watch though as it probably needs to grow on me.

Even less laughs in episode 2

Boring to be honest

No episode 3 for me...

Quote: lofthouse @ 3rd October 2021, 6:01 PM

Even less laughs in episode 2

Boring to be honest

No episode 3 for me...

Glad I didn't take it any further then.

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 3rd October 2021, 12:47 PM

Pulling was hilarious.

The pure fact that Pulling did not get a 3rd series was a cxnting travesty. And it eternally will be in my mind. Sharon Horgan was also livid at the time too. The 1 hour special it got felt way too rushed and was a weak ending to such a strong series. As much as I like Sophie, Alma is just not on that level.

I'm loving what I've seen so far of Alma's Not Normal. Exceptional job from the cast, especially Chris Cantill.

I've now seen five episodes and I like it but it's more of a dramedy than laugh out loud hilarious.

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 3rd November 2021, 8:48 PM

I've now seen five episodes and I like it but it's more of a dramedy than laugh out loud hilarious.

True, but a powerful drama. The sentiment about history repeating itself, with Almer having a chance of breaking the cycle is quit profound. Isn't this the new formula ? A grittier more realistic dramatic spin on comedy ? Fleabag, Inside #9 , After Life, Mum, Flowers et al ?

Quote: Firkin @ 4th November 2021, 12:21 AM

Isn't this the new formula ? A grittier more realistic dramatic spin on comedy ? Fleabag, Inside #9 , After Life, Mum, Flowers et al ?

It is. But there is zero evidence the viewing public wants to - or indeed does - watch it en masse. In fact quite the opposite.

Not only that, but old oft repeated sitcoms such as Dad's Army still beats them in the ratings.

I just wanted it to be funnier.

Probably apart from Inside No.9 that is, but that's a different thing altogether, from a team that have their own fan base for all their projects. Fleabag got awards, but I'm not sure it got huge single viewing figures, and I'm sure it isn't a sitcom. The others are coming into the sitcom genre, rightly or wrongly, as fresh contenders and may not survive on good reviews if hardly anyone watches them.

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 30th January 2022, 9:57 PM

I just wanted it to be funnier.

That's being consistently said by many about the current crop of so called sitcoms. Sitcom has very much become what Firkin describes above.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th January 2022, 9:52 PM

Not only that, but old oft repeated sitcoms such as Dad's Army still beats them in the ratings.

With a very old demographic, I'm not sure many people under forty or fifty has even heard of Dad's Army, let alone watched it.

I do actually doubt that though, especially as it's rarely been off our screens. Many under 40 are bound to have caught this, and I'd say a fair share of them would be fans. One reason the Beeb keeps showing it on a loop is it has no blaring unwokenesses that would upset more sensitive generations, little things maybe we wouldn't say much today but on the whole it's a viewer friendly sitcom with a warm heart, and no one got more than a scratched finger although they're supposed to be at war.

Compare it to shows like this, with themes of sex and drug abuse in peacetime where things are much less harmless and gentle.