The Cleaner - Series 1 Page 3

Nope, watched last night's as I was at a loose end and had nothing else to watch, and I just don't get it, not even as a story, let alone a comedy? Is it meant to be a comedy?

If so, it's lost on me, and how did it pass "the suits" who decide the fate of sitcoms at the Beeb. If it was because it was based on a very successful German sitcom, then that says it all.

Greg's a very funny man, no doubt, but what the hell was he thinking? What the hell were the money men thinking?

Same here, I started watching it and turned off half way though. Why was he at the irritating influencer's house if the latter hadn't asked him to come? Also it seems Greg's character isn't driving the action, the other person is.

Quote: beaky @ 11th September 2021, 12:19 PM

I met him once. He was standing outside a media company building smoking a cigarette.
"What's the weather like up there, Greg?" I quipped.
"F**k off." he replied.

He shouldn't smoke, it'll stunt his growth!

The Cleaner is fine... the David Mitchell one was the best so far, but I wouldn't rush to watch any of the other episodes again. Greg's character doesn't seem much different to the one in Man Down.

Quote: beaky @ 9th October 2021, 8:25 PM

Why was he at the irritating influencer's house if the latter hadn't asked him to come?

That was the main thing I couldn't figure out, and the only reason I continued to watch to see if it explained itself, but no - all it did for me was to create further annoying questions.

Stuff it. The last one this coming week, which I will DEFINITELY not be watching, and if it gets a second series, there's no justice in this (BBC sitcom) world.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th October 2021, 12:25 AM

all it did for me was to create further annoying questions.

There are more questions than answers as Johnny Nash once perceptively observed.

Definitely a good series. More please.

I regularly listen to The Comedy Slab podcast and they reviewed this sitcom a few weeks ago so I watched Eps 1 and 2. I chuckled a bit but it's not particularly hilarious. Maybe I'd have to be more of a Greg Davies fan to fully appreciate it? It was nice to see David Mitchell really stretching his acting talent in Ep 2 though!?

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 3rd November 2021, 8:53 PM

Maybe I'd have to be more of a Greg Davies fan to fully appreciate it?

No, I'm a big fan of his, but didn't find this particularly funny - so much so, I cancelled my digi-box link and didn't watch the last episode.

I watched as much of Ep6 as I could. Mixing graphic scenes with comedy is the stuff for films, not mainstream sitcom. It's far too jarring.

The stuff inbetween appears to be mild and soapy. I couldn't see what direction it was going in, just drifting along in an awkward setting. Maybe this sort of thing works better in Germany.

I couldn't help thinking someone like Gervais or Izzard would've made more of this situation, bringing in some sharp dialogue and visuals.

This is back on the 24th, gonna carry on watching.

I do like it but still feel I haven't completely connected with it, but the Christmas special was an improvement and felt like it had more heart put in.

I've not seen the German original though so not sure how much has been completely lifted, ha.

I've seen some odd episodes and enjoyed them.